PDA

View Full Version : 250sx tranny problem.

hillbilly 200x
06-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Hey guys so my 250sx isn't shifting now DC help me!!!!!lol. It was never shifted rigth from day one. When I got it, it wasn't running. When I got it to run it would drive and shift up with no problems but when you went to down shift the shifter wouldn't come back up it would just stay down and let the bike free wheel. My dad is the only one who drives it and he doesn't drive it to hard. So today we went out on a ride and we only made it about 5min and it wouldn't shift into gear. Dad say it has neutral and 1st gear but he had to play with the shifter to get it to go into 1st. But when he tryed to shift up it would make a grinding sound and do nothing. I have tryed to look thought the search bar and it gave me alittle insite about the tranny on these bike, but it still didnt really help me I will try and get into it on the weekend and get some pic's but as for now this is all I have . Thanks guys Aaron ps sorry for any speeling mistakes

just ben
06-02-2011, 10:17 PM
sounds like a transmission problem. just kidding . Im not too versed on the sx trans but guessing it in the shift drum area ...I have a complete runnin and shifting engine 100.00 plus shipping.and other parts

hillbilly 200x
06-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I will keep you in mind about the run engine. Canada post just went on strick so having anything shipped over wont work right now. lol I am going to try and pull the left side case and see if I can see the shift drum, maybe there is a spring broke or somthing

just ben
06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
oh duh I wasnt thinking too many labatts last night lol pull the right side case not the left and check the spring that is on the end of the shift shaft

Thorpe
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
On my ES, (same motor and trans) #21 broke, causing very similar issues to what your describing. Kinda common on these...

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1985-honda-atc250sx/o/m1913#sch8216

Dirtcrasher
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Take the left cover off, you'll find something loose, stripped or snapped off. Easy fix.......

hillbilly 200x
06-03-2011, 12:11 PM
ok thanks every one I will post up some pic's when i get it apart in a few days.

hillbilly 200x
06-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I think I may have found my problem #21 http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/310-honda-1985-all-terrain-cycle-atc250sx/assemblies/6192

Thorpe
06-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Wasnt #21 what I said? Dont forget to order gaskets when you order that pin....

hillbilly 200x
06-05-2011, 02:29 PM
ya i am making a list. There is ather bolt that goes into the shift durm and it was loose i could take it out by hand could this have been part of the problem #8 http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/310-honda-1985-all-terrain-cycle-atc250sx/assemblies/6192

hillbilly 200x
06-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Oh and what is the best way to get whats left of #21 out?

hillbilly 200x
06-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Never mind It came out by hand, sorry for all the post. Aaron

Dirtcrasher
06-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Those are hardened bolts/studs. If the shoulder is still present and you can't grab it, I grind them down until the pressure is removed and then they spin right out with a sharp pick. Those items are bathed in oil and never rusty or get stripped/galled in place. They back right out once the pressure is removed......

Glad you found it, so many motors are thought to have "a bent shift fork" "blown gear" when 80% of the time it's just a simple issue.

For some reason Honda didn't thread those holes out to the edge. So there is a void that take the pressure and the pins snap or come loose. It happened to my 350X and a couple 250SX's I've owned.

The only other issue is people that remove the countershaft on the SX with the 3 allen bolts and they screw up the whole tranny. A thrust washer falls out of place and 1st gear goes bye bye.............

hillbilly 200x
06-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Those are hardened bolts/studs. If the shoulder is still present and you can't grab it, I grind them down until the pressure is removed and then they spin right out with a sharp pick. Those items are bathed in oil and never rusty or get stripped/galled in place. They back right out once the pressure is removed......

Glad you found it, so many motors are thought to have "a bent shift fork" "blown gear" when 80% of the time it's just a simple issue.

For some reason Honda didn't thread those holes out to the edge. So there is a void that take the pressure and the pins snap or come loose. It happened to my 350X and a couple 250SX's I've owned.

The only other issue is people that remove the countershaft on the SX with the 3 allen bolts and they screw up the whole tranny. A thrust washer falls out of place and 1st gear goes bye bye............. Yes I am very happy to find out what was wrong even more happy to see honda still makes it #21 and its under $10.