PDA

View Full Version : How Do I get My Axle Off!?!

bucko
06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Im trying to switch my tires around on my Big Red 250es and im not sure what to do to get the axle out on the front?I took off the 4 nuts and little metal plate holding the axle on,on the one side, but now im not sure what to do.The axle wont come out when I try to turn it with a socket on the end...Im sure im doing something wrong...

hillbilly 200x
06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
why are you taken the axle out? to take the rim off, just pull the 4 nuts/washer that hold the rim on to the hub. hope this helps

Thorpe
06-01-2011, 09:56 PM
"How Do I get My Axle Off!?!" Buy it a drink, whisper sweet nothings to it...??? Try and impact gun on it... They can be a little stuborn...

mtsnieg
06-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Bwahhaha, good one. My impact would not break the axle lose. I had to use a long 1\2" breaker bar and my big jack handle. When you get it off, put some anti sieze on it.

atc007
06-01-2011, 10:39 PM
It is rusted fast!! I would simply pull the wheel at this point. Twis t the fork leg around till you can get after the 4 lugs. If you can get it too twist,you can work it and work it,almost for sure ,,you will need to retap it,or replace it,,but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing it's free.. Up to you. They're your options .

Chazz of Blades
06-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Alright, what you do is buy a crate of KY, lube it up real good, take a BFH and go to town!

bucko
06-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I tried using a breaker with no luck.Looks like its impact time.Busted my knuckles good when my hand slipped off it a few times,hot as hell out, and mosquito's think im a buffet...Great night :lol: