PDA

View Full Version : mikuni carb help 250r

redskinman
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Never ran this carb before.Just got this trike running{top end}Bike ran great but gas looked like it was leaking out of where uni attaches.I had already took apart carb and cleaned it while top end was getting done.So ive taken it apart 3 times today and am getting the same result everytime and I cant figure out the problem.Before I messed with it today bike would start first kick.Now it wont start unless chioke is on and then when it fires it like the throttle is wide open,if i push the choke down it dies.The last try I was able to manipilate on off switch to keep it running and not rev too high and push choke down and then kept it running with the throttle,but it was very uneven and wouldnt idle.I have not touched any adjustment screws at any time.Slide is moving up and down freely

TatTooL23
06-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Try turning in the air screw. Might be creating a lean condition and getting too much air and that's y it's revving high when it gets going. Just a guess....

redskinman
06-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Try turning in the air screw. Might be creating a lean condition and getting too much air and that's y it's revving high when it gets going. Just a guess....

It was running great before,just leaking gas.Im afraid to mess with the airscrew,dont think thats the problem.Something must be stuck somewhere but I cant figure out what.Do those floats look like theyre in the right way?

shortline10
06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Are you sure the small idle jet is not clogged ? The floats are in correct with the brass pins down .

redskinman
06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
There's only 1 jet I haven't taken out and cleaned because it's stuck is the main jet the needle goes thru
And it's clear
I'm not sure of anything at this point

shortline10
06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
The small jet next to the main jet is the one that needs to be cleaned . If you cant get it out try poking a small stiff wire threw it .

redskinman
06-01-2011, 06:13 PM
the jet where the line is drawn I cant get out,its in there good and i cant get a good grip on it with pliers because of the bowl around it.Other jet next to it I have got out and cleaned.Ive taken it apart again amnd it did the same thing,this time it reved up so high im syrprised it didnt blow up,it wouldnt cut off with on off switch,had to cut the gas to it.

Red Rider
06-01-2011, 08:26 PM
its in there good and i cant get a good grip on it with pliers because of the bowl around it.From the pic, the jet appears to be hexagonal. Instead of using pliers, try using the proper sized socket to remove it.

redskinman
06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
From the pic, the jet appears to be hexagonal. Instead of using pliers, try using the proper sized socket to remove it.
good Ideal
I think I may have found the problem,if its not the problem it was going to be a problem.
Does anybody know if this can be glued? Im told this is a dg intake,Im guessing its hard to find that piece but I havent looked yet

falloutboy
06-02-2011, 02:24 AM
If the intake boot is cracked, it needs to be replaced. Gluing it would be a temporary fix at best.

redskinman
06-02-2011, 06:33 AM
If the intake boot is cracked, it needs to be replaced. Gluing it would be a temporary fix at best.
Im going to glue it just to see if that was the problem with the carb not working right,meanwhile Im searching for a replacement

barrett8
06-02-2011, 06:49 AM
i had the same thing happen to me with my brother 250r but the gasket we got for the reeds where so cheap the gas had broken them down and cause and air leak. that was your problem for sure. i would not bother gluing it because if you going down the road and it give you going to running the motor lean...

Tuff
06-02-2011, 07:25 AM
being a snowmobile nut I can tell you this: Mikuni's need to have ALL the jets removed, including the air screw to be cleaned properly. NEVER use pliers when taking them apart. 3 tools are needed to dismantle the carb for cleaning. a Philips screwdriver for the bowl screws, the Main jet takes a 6mm socket on a nut driver and the Pilot jet takes a small flat blade screwdriver.
replace that intake if you have not already done so and watch this vid, it'll help you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Khs8R0bKYM&feature=related

BGP
06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
...the Pilot jet takes a small flat blade screwdriver....

What Tuff said, and by the look of that carb, use a new screw driver or "sharpen" one to get the pilot out; a crappy driver will mess the jet up and it'll be stuck in there!

redskinman
06-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I think Ive found the correct flange on ebay,I bought it so we will see

redskinman
06-03-2011, 01:38 PM
while im waiting on the other flange to arrive ive tried gluing this one{not to ride,just to see if ive got carb fixed}Rubber cement did not work worth a crap.I JB welded it and it looks like thats going to work well,at least just to test carb

redskinman
06-03-2011, 09:50 PM
put jb welded flange on tonight.Fired up after about 6 kicks with no issues and no more gas coming out.Couldnt resist taking it for a short ride,ran great,cant wait to get this flange in and break in the top end

falloutboy
06-04-2011, 05:16 AM
awesome. good idea on patching the one you have to figure out the problem.

TatTooL23
06-04-2011, 05:53 AM
So it was sucking air through that creating a lean mixture and it started to "runaway". Thats some scary stuff when that happens my quadzilla did it when I first got it. Kill switch didn't stop it, pulled the plug wire off and gas line and it was still screaming wide open. We held the breaks and shifted it into gear to stall it. Ended up putting a new carb on it and it's fine now. I havent even went through the old carb to c what's wrong with it.

redskinman
06-04-2011, 07:07 AM
So it was sucking air through that creating a lean mixture and it started to "runaway". Thats some scary stuff when that happens my quadzilla did it when I first got it. Kill switch didn't stop it, pulled the plug wire off and gas line and it was still screaming wide open. We held the breaks and shifted it into gear to stall it. Ended up putting a new carb on it and it's fine now. I havent even went through the old carb to c what's wrong with it.

yeah it was scary,thankfully it didnt last but about 5 seconds

TatTooL23
06-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah. It was bad with the quadzilla. It was about 60 seconds that it was screaming wide open cuz we tried all the normal things to kill it and nothing worked.

redskinman
06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
recieved my new flange today and installed it.Its not as deep as the old one,old one looks like its about 8 to 10mms deeper,dont know if that makes a difference.Carb went on fine and it fired right up