PDA

View Full Version : 84' 200ES starting issue

3wheelrider
06-01-2011, 03:37 PM
O.K. -heres the issue. It only starts up if I turn the key from "on" to off-on while cranking (holding the start button). It will just crank & crank- but not fire up if left in the "on" position (on the key switch).... And no- the culprit is not the key switch. Just tried a new one:(..........
I was told it could be the inhibiter relay if its not the key switch not. I see its discontinued too. Can anyone else confirm this as the culprit. Can it be anything else? And where can you get one of these relays?

3wheelrider
06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Bump.-no takers on this one?-Has no one else heard of this problem?.....

vhamerton
06-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Will it start with the pull rope while the key is in the "on" position?. I saw a problem similar to this once, It was actually the start button, The bike would crank forever but as soon as you let go of the start button it would fire. Sometimes get some weird grounding issues with old wiring. I would probably start by unplugging all the electrical systems not necessary to make the bike run (check for frayed wires). unplug the ignition switch and just jump the two wires necessary for spark (don't connect the other two or you lose spark), I can't remember the colors, yellow with red stripe and pink I think... anyway you look at it, it sounds like your going to be chasing a lot of wiring.

3wheelrider
06-02-2011, 01:41 PM
It wont start with the pullstart (key in the on position) it will "pop" or fire occasionally for a split second at first -but thats it.... like its gonna start but wont. With the starter button -like I said it just cranks & cranks and only starts up instantly -(when I click the key to off and back on while pushing the start button)-every time! Thats the only way it will start. Runs awesome...... but whats going on? I disconnected the ignition and key switch still wont pullstart. Gone over all the wiring too- all seems normal........ Somehow the spark to the plug seems to get interrupted untill I mess with the key?- but how and why?
Its not the relay either........

Chazz of Blades
06-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Try cranking it over, pushing the throttle in all the way, which will speed it up, then dropping the throttle at once.

3wheelrider
06-02-2011, 04:37 PM
It starts with no throttle or choke-runs perfect. Starts very easily- It just wants the whole key ritual to start it. Carburation is not it. It seems theres no spark to the sparkplug until I switch the key back & forth once. This makes no sense-I know.......

rugman316
06-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I am going to see if mine will start doing that. I have basically the same problem only difference is it starts pretty easy with the rope. There is way too many wiring things that can mess up on the 200es thats the one thing I dislike about them.

3wheelrider
06-02-2011, 06:04 PM
" There is way too many wiring things that can mess up on the 200es thats the one thing I dislike about them.[/QUOTE]

Youre right about that........ Love the simplicity of the 185/185s/200s.- Much less to go wrong or interfere.

250Eddie
06-03-2011, 01:45 AM
jimmy bring the bike by my house tomorrow with remy and ill try my CDI box on it from one of my ES's

3wheelrider
06-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Well- it was the CDI after all. Very odd considering it runs great once started.-thanks Eddie250 for letting me try yours.