PDA

View Full Version : new toys ytm200e and atc110

Sammckin
06-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I picked up a couple of bikes off CL, got these two machines for $200. 1984 YTM200?? and 1980 ATC110. The ytm is running but needs some rear axle work. The ATC is in all there, needs some work on the tank, that is the only thing that sticks out right now, I'm sure it will need some TLC too.

I'm hoping you guys might be of some help. I'm going to have do something with the rear axle carrier/hub/whatever you want to call it on the ytm. I'm having trouble finding the part, there is a brand new one on ebay for $100 but that is the only one I can find and I'm too cheap for that. Do you guys have any ideas??? New rear end kit with suspension, other model ytm parts that will work, etc....

If you guys have any other info or advice for these machines I'm happy to hear it.

Sammckin
06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
I forgot.....I'm in the process of removing the axle on the YTM, the bearings exploded in the carrier and obviously destroyed it. I've been working on the left side castle nut (axle nut or whatever you want to call it) to get the hub off and slide the axle out but it's stuck on there pretty good. I've tried heating it, soaking it, impact, breaker bar, etc.....but I cannot get it to budge. I did however in the process get the right side castle nut and hub off. My question is......does the axle only slide out to the right (break side) or can it slide out to the left (drive side)? I know my Warrior only comes out to the right, I'm just not very schooled on these machines yet and I don't know. Any help at all is apreciated.

chuckiedog04
06-01-2011, 01:57 PM
my 200 chain drive came out the left. i had to take the chain off the sprocket and it slid right out

Sammckin
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
If you're standing behind the bike it would have come out to the right, correct?

chuckiedog04
06-01-2011, 02:12 PM
for mine if you were standing behind it it came out the left. but then again its a honda.. i am not familiar with the yamahas.

Taiser
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
When I changed the bearings on my YTM it was a nightmare...I basically had to sledge the axle out, all the while worrying about wrecking the carrier...I finally got it out, just had to be patient...it takes a lot of pounding.

Sammckin
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Do you recall which way the axle came out of the carrier? The manual says to remove it to the brake side, but it doesn't say it cannot be removed to the drive side. Once again, any help is always apreciated.

MonroeMike
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
The axle comes out the right side (standing from behind). It won't come out the left.

Page 241.
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf

Sammckin
06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Well that sucks, got any tips for removing the castle nut that is STUCK in place? I've tried all the normal methods, I'm about to cut it off and hope to not f up the threads on the axle.

I also need to replace that carrier but I'd like to get a look at the drive shaft first, that could be the deciding factor in trying to repair/restore this old boy or part it out.

Taiser
06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Tried a couple of pipe wrenches? Or one pipe wrench on axle and a good quality wrench on the nut? Not pretty but it usually works.

Sammckin
06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I'll probably cut the nut before I go pipe wrench on it. Thanks for the ideas though, I'm not ruling anything out at this point.