PDA

View Full Version : Dying a Tecate tank black.

hang&rattle
05-30-2011, 11:26 PM
So I attempted to dye my red 84' Tecate tank black. I followed this link:http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-611365.html&. Had to experiment a bit and I just couldn't seem to make it work right fellas. I went to walmart and bought the only boxes and one plastic bottle of rit dye, 5+1. It sat in about 10 gallons of water for 3 weeks and it only stained it. So I went back and bought 15 more boxes, about 1 1/2 cups vinegar, and a few tablespoons of salt. Boiled the 10 gal. of water, mixed it all up in a sterilite 18 gal. plastic box, wrapped it in insulation and let it soak for 9 more days. Still see red on the front and underside. I'm tired of dinking with it now, but IMO it would take a minimum of 20 boxes (25 maybe). IDK, I'll just order a new green tank skin for my 85' and paint the current green one black for the 84'. Here's some pictures-

leviblue
05-31-2011, 04:55 AM
try a sharpie next time....the wide poster ones ..... or roasting it over an open pit bbq on a stick for that charbroil look..... sitting it in the bottom of the ol' outhouse could do the trick and might help it...... come on robby at least you could of used tasha's easybake oven to brown it... i like the red better makes it look like it's fast

falloutboy
05-31-2011, 05:14 AM
Well it looks like it almost worked. I bet it was a messy though. I used that rit dye a few years ago for a halloween costume and it took every ounce of concentration not to get blue and purple dye everywhere (I was making Joker pants).

I bet if you were able to keep on constant heat source on it for X amount of hours it would probably work...

jeswinehart
05-31-2011, 06:02 AM
It looks to me like you succeeded ! It is definitely more black then any other color.

hang&rattle
05-31-2011, 07:02 AM
I think falloutboy has the key. Hollywoodmx in the link has heated floors. It was still hot (scolding hot) 48 hours later. Luke warm nearly 3 days later. I looked for something metal and would have used my magnetic oil pan heater on the bottem, but couldn't find anything quite what I wanted. But if I go much more further, I could have just bought a tank skin. I'm going to let it dry completely and then dunk it back in. My motor won't be done for a month or more, but I don't feel it'll get any darker. If it was sunshining out could wrap in black garbage bags out side and let the sun heat it every day, but it's been raining for a few weeks and snowing before that. I tried a sharpie, doesn't work, lol. May be black shoe polish or black stain for wood to touch it up, IDK, we'll hafta see. Like I said, tired of trying now, got alot of hours into the tank now with all the wet sanding, sanding and just checking on it and all. Lol, for a tank, lol.

Modding_out
05-31-2011, 09:28 AM
You need a constant source of heat to dye plastic. If you could find a large metal container and just boil the tank in it for a couple days I Feel you will have better success

playasridebmx
05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
robby.. go hit up the rodeo arena and get a barrel. throw a propane heater under it and let 'er simmer while your workin on the motor...

Jeepermc
05-31-2011, 04:01 PM
This may sound absurd and may not work at all....How attached to the plastic tubs are you?....Next time you have a campfire Robby....Take a bottle of water (plastic) and set it top up in the fire with the cap off but that the water doesn't spill out....I thought it was crazy too....the plastic won't melt as long as there is water in it...as it boils out and there is less water, the plastic will melt to the water level... You know what i am getting at, but i have no idea if it would work with say a small propane stove or something under the tub... try the water bottle first just to prove to yourself that that actually works... =) Would give you some heat...

hang&rattle
05-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Actually you fellas gave me inspiration. I think the previous home owner left a big metal was basin in the rafters. It ain't deep enough, but I can poor the dyed water in it and put my magnetic heater under it. It'll make the water hot and I'll just rotate the tank. I'll do it next week though, I've got a weekend of camping and riding coming up this weekend with me and Onnie, and then will tackle the poject once again. Like I said, sick of messin' with it. I put alot of effort in it and gave it that good o' Harvard try fer now.

TatTooL23
05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
I think it's looking really good. Seeing the difference from the first time to the second really seems like eventually it will be all good and black. Will it fit in a turkey deep fryer pot?? That would be perfect.

falloutboy
06-01-2011, 03:15 AM
The other thing would be to get a 55 gal oil drum, cut it in half and presto!