PDA

View Full Version : Question about 250r rear suspension..

dougspcs
05-29-2011, 09:33 PM
My 250r rear shock doesn't feel soft or spongy..nor is it leaking.

But when I lift rear off the ground by the bar the suspension has about 3 more inches of travel. Should the trike not sit at the top of it's travel with no rider?

The information in the manual says that I should refer to the owners manual for proper setup for the rider weight..does any one have a link to the owners manual or instruction about rear shock setup?

Or is it just worn and need replacement?

atc007
05-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Generally,you aim for 2-3 inches of rider sag,WITH you on the seat. You need some serious adjusting,or it needs rebuilt. I could type all night on suspension setup!! Just go Google rear shock setup,,play until your hearts content. You CANNOT screw anything up! You would not believe what a difference you can make on your bikes,especially an R or X,by playing and playing till things are JUST the way you like them! Got her back home w no problems!?

dougspcs
05-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Trip home was good..got it off the trailer and sliced my leg on the winter tire stud pushing it across the yard. 7 stitches..bummer. But we made up and I been having fun figuring this thing out. A very different animal from my others!!!

Thanks for the input..I may just look at buying a replacement shock. There are some NOS shocks on ebay for about $200..not a bad investment. Then I can figure out the setup on a known good shock.

atc007
05-29-2011, 10:26 PM
That IS a good deal!! I shall go buy one!! Thanx! I just bought a 87 X rear,,$1064 Retail,,when they WERE available! Sorry to hear about your leg! Man!

dougspcs
05-30-2011, 07:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370512009033&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Seems a pretty good deal..not sure if it's OEM. I doubt it..

But at least I can setup a known good shock..not worry about one that may have leaked its charge out or worn out inside.

atc007
05-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Looks to be! But,dam,,you would think they would have enough class to have it laying down,on a towel,,WITHOUT the weight of the reservoir pulling down on the hose!! Oh well,I'm anal like that. Wonder how much they knock off for xchange?

KASEY
05-30-2011, 10:19 AM
JUST REMEMBER,,, your still buying a 26 year old shock,, rubber seals are still 26 years old... a couple of inches of sag is normal and not a big deal.. i would recharge the nitrogen in your old shock before doing anything ,, then adujst the preload ,,,, play with the adjusters and ride it ...

dougspcs
05-30-2011, 12:06 PM
I might try that 1st Kasey, I suppose I would have to remove the shock and take it to a bike shop for the Nitrogen?? Or is there a DIY way?

atc007
05-30-2011, 12:20 PM
It's gotta come off,and as long as they are at it,they will tear it down and clean it. The shock oil turns into a nasty tar that stinks,and is just miserable! It will be good as new IF they know what they are doing. This is a better option,but that oe shock is hard to beat. I wouldn't worry too much about it's age. it has never seen sun,rain or dirt,hopefully!

Dirtcrasher
05-30-2011, 12:35 PM
I've bought NOS shocks before and they started leaking shortly or the bump stop disintegrated.......

I'd rather rebuild one and know it's fresh. It's nothing to PC a spring and polish the shock body. You just need a good candidate.

KASEY
05-30-2011, 02:10 PM
You should be able to recharge it without taking it off.

Red Rider
05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
I've bought NOS shocks before and they started leaking shortly or the bump stop disintegrated....Speaking of which, in the pics of the ebay shock, it appears to have no bump stop at all. Kind of useless without that.