PDA

View Full Version : what makes a good trike tool set

Sawfly
05-29-2011, 05:56 AM
since i'm bringing a trike with me up to CO after i get back from deployment i need a good toolset. something that can break it down to its component parts. nothing fancy enough to break down a tranny or anything, but for taking it apart for basic work. i usually used my dad's and brothers tools when i was back home but i dont think they'll take kindly to the 10mm socket going missing 800miles away. if you want to go fancy and list stuff for taking the engine down to the crank let me know thats what it's for.

acidburn
05-29-2011, 08:33 AM
what i did was when i was bored one day i took out each tool i may need if i break down, sockets to pull off the pullstart, take off the carb, tighten chain tensioner, loosen axel carrier bolts, sockets for your hubs etc u get the point make sure u got everything your gonig to need cause no1 can tell you every tool your going to need.

Sawfly
05-29-2011, 08:45 AM
i'm in afghanistan right now so thats not really an option. i'm trying to get everything sorted out so i can price it all and just walk into lowes or something the day i get back and walk out with everything i need. it's all gonna stay in CO while i'm ridin with the family in MO. granted i know i wont be able to foresee everything i'll use, but a general idea should help me get started. that and i'm so bored over here i need something to do.

Mosh
05-29-2011, 08:55 AM
When I go on long rides, or trips far away from home, I put together a good kit of extra parts and tools.

For tools..
Wrench set metric 8-19 mm.
Socket set 8-21 mm.
Good phillips and flathead screwdrivers.
Vise grips and pliers of assorted sizes
Hammer
Prybar
Punch and chisels
Wire strippers and crimpers, and wire and butt connectors and tape, in case you need electrical repairs.
Good pipe wrench
Metric allen wrenches or sockets
Whatever special tools are needed for the paticular machines I take. Sockets for hub nuts, etc.
Zip ties, mechanics wire.
Hose clamps
Tire plug kit.
For the everyday guy, you cant beat a Sears Craftsman 300 piece Mechanics set. They can be had for under 300$ and you will have most of what you need. Then just add in your specality tools with the kit and carry them in your truck.

I take spare parts too. CDI boxes, Coils, Plugs, Brake pads, extra chain and sprockets, throttle and clutch cables and levers, extra fuel line and filters, filter cleaning kit, brake pads, brake fluid, coffe can of extra nuts and bolts, 2 stroke oil or engine oil, and coolant..Basically anything that fits the machines I ride on the trip.

When I have gone to Trikfest which is 5 hours away and a 5 day trip, I took a parts bin that was about 2 ft by 4ft full of spare parts, plus 4-5 machines. No matter what, I would have something to ride, or parts to fix a bike. Nothing sucks then to be 5 hours from home and have a breakdown and left with no machine to ride.
I have found most of the time, that if you take the stuff, you wont need to use it, and if you leave it behind, you wish you brought it..LOL

Then there is the trail repair.
My brother in law lost his oil fill plug for his LT 250R one time and lost all his trans oil about 6 miles from camp.
We had a qt of oil to put back in, and no cap to keep it in there.
Fortunately, one of the ladies had a tampon. So we stuffed it in the hole and tied the string to the clutch cable. He rode that the rest of the weekend like that with no issues.. I actually have a pic of it somewhere.LOL

beets442
05-29-2011, 09:26 AM
+.... CO cylinders like you'd use in a air gun, to air up tires or a small bike pump and a tow strap.

atc007
05-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Sawfly,,1st off,,THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.. What bike are you coming home to partner? Or more than one bike? Then we'll get you a setup!

zzmegad
05-29-2011, 10:35 AM
oh I agree on that 300pc craftsman tool set, theres one that comes in a plastic toolbox with drawers that Ive been wanting to snag up as a spare toolset. There should be some good sales on that stuff for Fathers Day

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Tools_Auto+%26+Mechanics+Tools_Mecha nics+Tool+Sets

dksix
05-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I saw this set was on sale this week, $100 off and free shipping http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00936260000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2 . I started out with one similar to it, add the plier and screw driver sets, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945419000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00941042000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=L6
Then a meter, I have one about like this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482344000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9 and it has done everything I need. That's a little less than $350, add a few things from HF and you'll be good to go. The top of the box should hold all the extra's and a fanny pack for rides. Be careful over there.

Sawfly
05-29-2011, 11:40 AM
i'm comin home to a 200x (86?) and a 250sx(my bro is pickin it up sunday). i'm lookin into gettin more but considering i got a truck to replace my pimpmobile i'm low on funds. that and the rifle i plan on gettin when i come back is around 1800.

i never got to be around the trikes except when i went on leave cause i never had a place to ride in CO. now i got a few places to ride and i need to learn as much as i can about my trikes since my bro and dad did most of the work while i was gone. so i figure tools are almost as important as knowing how to take it apart and fix it. (since i cant afford to run to the store everytime i find a tool i'm missing)

RubberSalt
05-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Me, i like things cheap, so i look for a cheaper route. I use a mixed set of tools, mostly craftsman and Stanley/harbor freight.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00933200000P This will have most everything you need.
Get your self some good Stanley/craftsman pliers and vice grips
You can get by with Pittsburgh wrenches from harbor freight. They HAVE to have a polished though.
A harbor freight impact screw drive (http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html)r, with the red handle gets the job done for me.

Thats just a few things in the list, the guys up top got it covered well.

AtcFactoryRacer
05-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I disagree that you need a 300 piece set... Ive been working on 3 wheelers since i got my alt125 16 years ago and worked as a mechanic for 3 years at the famous Honda of Troy(troy racing) in dayton ohio.... Kawasaki, yamaha, honda, and suzuki all use the same common bolts on their bikes from 3wheelers to the newest Quads...

The ONLY sockets you will need are: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 23mm, 26mm, 27mm, and 28mm. That will take care of 99% of your needs if you only have factory hardware (there are some axle and internal engine nut sizes that are rarely different in the 20mm+ range) Sometimes people will lose a body or chassis bolts and replace it with whatever they have laying around so check your machine thoroughly for mixed-matched bolts....

In my tool kit that i use for haspen and badlands trips has these tools:
- 3/8 inch, shallow - 12, 14, 17, 19mm sockets
- 3/8 inch, deep- 14, 17, 19, 21, 23mm sockets
- 3/8 inch, ratchet
- 3/8 inch, 2" and 6" extensions
- 3/8 inch, 5/8" , 13/16", and 18mm sparkplug sockets
- 1/4 inch, shallow- 8, 10, 12mm sockets
- 1/4 inch racket
- 1/4 inch 2" and 6" extension
- 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm combination wrenches
- 17, 19mm allen wrenchs
- #2 and #3 phillips head screwdrivers
- #3 flat head screwdriver
- a few common motorcycle flywheel pullers
- a large cresent wrench with 3" jaws
- a pipe wrench with 3" jaws
- vise grips
- 14inch prybar
- 3lb sledge hammer
- small rubber mallet
- needle nose plyers
- regular plyers
- sidecutters(dykes)
- electrical tape
- zip ties
- a length of coiled up bailing wire
- a length of 16 gauge electrical wire
- extra 520 master links
- extra factory common nuts a bolts (vehicle/manufactor specific)
- tire plug kit and a small 12v air compressor
- 1 can of PB blaster

I hope this helps

just ben
05-29-2011, 06:43 PM
any good metric set should be fine. the craftsman set mentioned is a good set I have two. if you want to get down to the crank you may need specialty tools like a flywheel puller depending on the machine. some machines you can pull the flywheel with a harmonic balancer puller(most pull start trikes you can) good luck and thanks for your service

Xpress
05-29-2011, 07:30 PM
300pc set whoah!

I manage perfectly fine with less than 35 tools. These trikes are Metric, so no real need for standard tools.

rkoley1
05-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Sawfly,Where are you coming to in Co? Fort Carson? check out 3 wheeler.org, there are guys on trere from the front range. and it's a Honda propably only need a crescent wrench and screwdriver!!!! and Thanks for your service!!

zzmegad
05-29-2011, 08:30 PM
for $200 the 260 pc set is a steal... you'll spend about that much on 35 tools.

Xpress
05-29-2011, 11:09 PM
for $200 the 260 pc set is a steal... you'll spend about that much on 35 tools.

I got all of my tools for less than $100... And I don't buy cheap crap, I'd rather buy once and be done with it (Craftsman, Snapon, ect.) Granted items like my breaker bar or 12" extensions I found for cheap at a garage sale for $5 for all 3...

RubberSalt
05-30-2011, 12:44 AM
I consider the 200 peice set a steal. It goes on sale for $100 during holidays!. It's got every socket you need up to 19mm.
But, like Xpress said, you don't need to spend all that.
Also, due to what Xpress said, I'm making a tool kit JUST for my 3 wheelers, with his recommendations of tools. Travel light :)

Sawfly
05-30-2011, 12:51 AM
hey xpress, what tools you use? once i've got the basics i'll expand slowly so i can use my toolset for more than just a trike. and by expand slowly i mean i'll get bored and dump 500bucks

zzmegad
05-30-2011, 10:10 AM
like these guys said you really only need need a set of 3/8 drive sockets 8-21mm. I really like having the 1/4 drive stuff also. screwdriver set. pliers set. metric wrench set 8-17mm. I was reccomending one of the bigger sets because you will save money going that route. Tools last forever, and if your like me you never stop buying them. Dont forget about a toolbox. Another point, If your gonna need bigger sockets and stuff, it's also better to get the bigger set which includes them because bigger tools are not cheap individually.

Xpress
05-30-2011, 03:02 PM
hey xpress, what tools you use? once i've got the basics i'll expand slowly so i can use my toolset for more than just a trike. and by expand slowly i mean i'll get bored and dump 500bucks

On the trikes, I only need an 8-18mm deep socket set, my dad picked up this $15 tool kit that had a 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 17mm deep socket set on sale from I think Pep Boys. Then I added 8, 9, 16, and 18mm deep sockets to the collection. I am still looking for a clever way to conveniently store them in a mounted position. Maybe pickup one of those pistol cases and cutout the foam for the tools..

Anyways, those are 1/4" sockets, then I have a 6" extension that only cost a couple of bucks from Sears (crafstmen). Not sure how much the 1/4" driver was, but my dad also got it from Sears, I can't imagine it being THAT expensive. I also carry a 21mm deep socket with me, 1/4", just incase a wheel bolt comes loose or something.

What I don't bring with me on rides is my breaker bar (gotta love that thing), a 12" extension, a full set of 3/8" sockets, from 7mm to 22mm, a wrench set from 7mm to 18mm, needle nose pliers, pair of dikes, crescent wrench, channel lock pliers, hammEr, 2 sizes of phillips head screwdrivers, 2 sizes of flat head screwdrivers, and of course vise grips. That all gets carried around inside of a tool box that's left back at camp.

Really that is all you need. You don't need a giant set of tools, you only need what your bike has. And the tool kit I have put together can basically disassemble and then re-assemble a bike if I really wanted to.

The thing I like doing is going around to garage sales to see the kinds of tools people have. If they're Craftsmen, I snatch them up, because Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I found my toolbox for $5 at a garage sale, red Craftsman box with 4 drawers and a top compartment that locks the drawers when it's in the closed position. Only thing that doesn't fit in is the breaker bar, but that I tend to keep inside the cab, just incase ;)