PDA

View Full Version : Atc 185s problems

Atc2484
05-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Hi I just recently got a 1983 Honda atc 185s. Friend gave it to me for free. It has no pull starter no rear brake handle or foot pedal. I have been using a rope as the pull starter. The problem is that it runs good for about 5-10 minutes and then the idle speed picks up and it eventually shuts off. It then leaks alot of fuel out of the air box. Then I have to wait about an hour before it will start again. Also the spark plug was very black. Any ideas what is wrong with this thing?

Frankencelery
05-29-2011, 12:08 AM
I would say the float is getting stuck, allowing gas to continuously flow into the carburetor. There's an overflow tube in the float bowl that is supposed to route the overflow to a tube out the bottom of the carb, but sometimes it gets clogged, or people plug it, not realizing what it's for. You'll have to take the carb out and give it a good cleaning. If you want to install a carb kit, and I personally recommend it, try dratv.com. I've bought a couple there, and they work great.

Atc2484
05-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks I'll try that

atc007
05-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Great advice,,the problem is your carb,,and OR,, the o ring on your intake . You MAY get it going decent cleaning the carb. IF you don't get it. Stop wasting your time,and get a new carb off Ebay,,I belive $29 will get a fresh new one shipped to your door. A good pullstart is gonna run you $75,brake pedal,very litte,$5,new cable,$15,brakes if you need them $20. And you will have a very nice ,cheap,good running ATC !! Good luck!

Atc2484
05-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the help I will try a new carb, I also noticed a crack in the rubber boot that connects the carb to the engine would that be causing anything?