PDA

View Full Version : 200es differential

pcollins
05-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Rebuild had to be put on hold for a bit due to a truck repair, but im back at it now and was about to tear the differential in half, came across this nut holding the pinion in. (number 6 in the diagram). Need to get it off to replace the seals and bearings in there, is there a special tool i can use? its rusted pretty bad. I tried using a screwdriver and hammer but it isnt moving at all.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1984-honda-atc200es/o/m1891#sch10870

Diagram^^

Also, as long as Put all the shims back where they came from, i shouldn't have to mess with the backlash or anything, right? Thanks guys.

atc007
05-27-2011, 09:15 PM
CAREFULLY warm the outside of the housing,working in a GOOD vise,a hammer and Punch will turn the lock collar right out of there,,shims should be fine, You are supposed to blue dye everything to check lash,but you will probably be just fine! If the pinion bearing is bad down in the case,let me know,that's a whole nother bag of tricks.

pcollins
05-28-2011, 12:14 AM
I was just going to replace the bearing because i have the whole kit, but if its easier to leave it if its good then i will. The only thing that probably REALLY needs replacing is the seals, all the gear oil was leaking into the driveshaft housing.

EDIT: is it possible to change the Timing chain and tensioner/guide without splitting the case? I will have the head and jug off for rebuild.

pcollins
05-28-2011, 04:33 PM
UPdate. yeppers, one of the bearings down in the pinion area is shot. Its got up down left and right play. you name it. Looks like I gotta split the whole thing now.

atc007
05-28-2011, 05:40 PM
I figured. If you have the right bearing puller,easy job. If not,dremel,steady hand and little punch. Yes timing chain stuff is just behind the flywheel,no need for case splitting. You'll have a nice one when you're done!

pcollins
05-29-2011, 11:06 AM
I'll have to check but i don't think i have a small enough bearing puller laying around anywhere. And thats good news about the chain, i'll go ahead and order that then. Just hoping the crankshaft is good. Not gonna be happy if i gotta split the engine. Thanks for the help

pcollins
05-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Got the differential split and all, just trying to figure out how I'm going to get the pinion gear out of its Hole. Any ideas? I was thinking of making like a slide hammer type thing, welding a nut onto a rod and screwing it onto the pinion shaft.