PDA

View Full Version : Stripped 350x Drain Plug

bkm
05-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Has anyone had any luck with the oversized drain plugs for fixing stripped plug threads?

I went to tighten my plug last night and it just kept spinning. I then pulled it out and the threads came out with the plug. I have used an oversized on my 250r way back in the day and had no problems with it, but I was wondering if anyone has used one with the 350x or if they just Heli-Coiled it.

Also I believe the plug is 12mm but I don't know the pitch?

jrsqlc
05-27-2011, 10:16 AM
i took mine to our local NAPA and ten bucks and a half hour later....No leaks
they used a heli coil.

TatTooL23
05-27-2011, 10:36 AM
mine in my 350X is stripped also. it is 12mm by 1.5 pitch. i purchased a time-sert kit. i am going to install it this weekend. they r MUCH better then a heli coil. but also very expensive. the kit comes with the drill, tap, the counter bore, 5 threaded sleeves, and sleeve driver. so i could do 5 drain plugs if i ever had to...LOL.

maybe if u wanted i could do mine then send u the kit and u could use one of the sleeves to fix the hole on yours and then send it back. just a thought.

time-serts r stronger and hold up longer and better then the stock engine case. it is a steel sleeve. check it out on the website.

bkm
05-27-2011, 10:43 AM
I forgot about timeserts. My buddy used them on his 4.6 4v Cobra Engine, turbo build. Ford liked to use about three threads to keep the spark plug in the heads on some of the 4.6/5.4 engines.