PDA

View Full Version : brake rotor getting hot

gotballs 250r 82
05-25-2011, 10:13 PM
on my new drag build my brake rotor is getting real hott could it be that the rotor is warped it turns ok but at one point when turning it it gets harder to turn coult this be maken it get to hot and what kind of wheel spin should i have when turning by hand should it be total free or a little rubbing not total free or could i have bleed it to tight

Dirtcrasher
05-25-2011, 10:22 PM
I think allot of rotors are out of spec. Is the caliper free on it's slide pins? Thats the most common issue with calipers dragging and heating up. I take them apart and use silicone grease on the slide pins......

jadleybray
05-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Once the rotor gets too hot, it will warp. But that's not the original problem. Like mentioned, the slides are sticking. A rubber mallet and a few calculated hits can straighten the rotor, but address the caliper issue. I personally use a spring actuated caliper that pulls the pads back off the rotor to eliminate any possibility of drag on my drag bike.

gotballs 250r 82
05-26-2011, 01:08 AM
How do you get a hold of springs for this and how is it done jadley are you talking about on the pins put the springs between the pads

jadleybray
05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
No, I'm referring to a comlete new caliper that has return springs. I'll find a link

AtcFactoryRacer
05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
You never mentioned what machine you were talking about.... I am assuming its your 83 250r.... The factory rear brakes were suitable for this machine... I would take the rear caliper off and inspect the pads.. If the two pads are different thickness that will tell that the slide pins are sticking. I would remove the pins and clean any rust from them on a bench grinder with a wire wheel... Lubricate the pins with silcon grease, and reinstall everything... if that doesnt correct the problem then you could have a bent rotor or caliper mount bracket.

jadleybray
05-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Here is a link to a forum on PS talking about rear brake drag

http://www.planetsand.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1064885/Searchpage/1/Main/92641/Words/mindbender/Search/true/Re_REAR_BRAKE_DRAG#Post1064885

The picture is of MR. Horsepower's setup he sells. There is also Mindbender Motorsports that has a zero drag spring loaded caliper