PDA

View Full Version : 84 big red 200e

carsurgin
05-22-2011, 11:23 PM
The bike runs great, when i can start it. Ill run it for 20 minutes and the plug is black (I assume carbon/oil). but not sure. I bought the bike a few days ago and have gone through 3 plugs already. Ive tried cleaning them but i use them once and 'big red' eats em.
Plug is wet when removed. Using D??8 something plug. (will post proper plug in couple hours.)
Umm.. Idles good, no stalls. First start (with new plug). I don't see any leaks of any kind. If you need any other info, ask.
Check for plugged exhaust is my first chore tomorrow followed by oil change.
Possible air filter cleaning.
Anyone know from there? cause that's as far as I know to go.

mrmello
05-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Does it smoke when its running?

carsurgin
05-23-2011, 12:01 AM
yes, but not a lot. I know this cause my chain keeps popping. Im back there quite a bit. Thats another thing to fix. But I did notice some black soot on the engine near an exhaust joint.

mrmello
05-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Right but when its running is there blue smoke coming out the exhaust.

Reason I ask is it may have turned an oil ring causing it to burn oil and foul plugs.

Have you ever had the carb off and adjusted the settings?

Its running rich and now we just have to find out why.

carsurgin
05-23-2011, 12:11 AM
sorry, i must correct. it is an 1983.
No i do not notice any blue smoke. But I could be wrong. I will run tomorrow and verify color. I do notice while sitting on it, the exhaust is hovering out near middle bike.
I have never removed carb. Really i have done no work. it was a buy and drive. The guy before me (stated) it was running fine, and was ridden frequently.
When I do start it after plug swap, it idles high, after 5 minutes of running it calms downs and idles at proper state.

carsurgin
05-23-2011, 12:46 AM
If I remove a link from my chain, would that affect performance? There is a weld on the adjuster nut.

mrmello
05-23-2011, 12:51 AM
It wont hurt anything if you have the room for adjustment

Tuff
05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
sounds to me like the carb needs inspecting/cleaning. maybe the float is set to high or the needle/seat is shot.

carsurgin
05-23-2011, 06:29 PM
I took the air filter out and cleaned it with dish soap. he filter was BLACK. full of oil. After i replaced it, biike started and ran perfect. Thank god it was an easy fix. Ill let you now if anything persists. It might be a deeper problem.
P.S. Just for reference... Make sure filter is fully dry before reinstalling. lol. I got water in the engine and it stalled. But got it running again.