PDA

View Full Version : 81 ATC200 help please... Fairly new to this

Crash104936221
10-22-2003, 11:59 PM
how do I tell exactly what I have here?

I know it’s a 82 200 atc 4 stroke it has no suspension (front tor rear) pull start no batt,

history
I bought it from a guy he seemed trust able and said it was bough to pull a ice hut to fish in (ice fishing) he bought it new used it rarely it had 75%+ tires and he said they were original they were square knobs and 25's(I think) I drove it about 8 months with oil changes every month it was drove to work EVERY day and play after work I put about a tank every 2 days through it durring the week and 3-4 over the weekend one day a friend was over and asked to ride it there was about 6" snow on the ground so i started the bike and let it warm up (something I NEVER did) took it for a easy ride out the drive and back to make sure it was warm (another thing never done) pulled up and gave it a shot in 2nd to spin it 180* so he was headed out the drive and BANG the engine stopped dead drained the oil looked clean so i pulled the engine out and popped the rocker cover off and the timing chain was off and the tentioner(sp?) was broke (wore out and snapped I assume) so i found a 180?atc and took one from its engine it fit and seemed to be right so i put it back together and it ran like total crap so i drove it from my bosses shop(were i put the engine back in) home 5-8min ride about 3/4 the way home 4th gear about ½ throttle and BANG engine locks up tires lock up slide to a halt load it on a truck get home pull the oil plug and i get what looks like 50/50 oil shavings so i parked the bike

since then my stepdad has taken my back tires, there hubs, all the bolt in the axle mount, my sprocket on the rear, my brake leaver, most of the electronics (little black box (about 1 x 1.5 x 2-3?) coil plug boot

now i have been really missing the offroading and would like to fix the bike

so what do i have and where should i start?

i just had a look to see what i have/dont have:

front fender
right rear fender
left rear fender
gas tank
rear rack
front forks, rim, tire(25x12x9), handle bars
frame
air box
muffler (rusted to crap)
axle assembly (missing mounting bolts) with 1 hub nut and washer
the engine
its missing the sparkplug
the carb will need a cleaning and possably a rebuild (a new cable old is sezed)

i managed to find the wireing harness (in ruff shape)
the coil and sparkplug wire thats it

what i know is missing
the little black box thing
rear hubs
toolbox

now a few question's

are all rear hubs universal?

i found a sticker on the frame (by handle bars) that says its a 200ATC 1981 8/80 guess was wrong about the year all along

thanks again
Joe

Howdy
10-23-2003, 08:14 AM
With out knowing a little more on the engine it is hard to say if the motor is worth fixing. It would take the motor to be partially taken apart to tell. These are not that hard to work on. Just some things are VERY critical to watch out for. Wore Cam, plugged oil ports, bad bearings, ect. ;)

As far as fixing the machine as a whole. Personally if the frame, fenders, ect are in very good shape then I would probably fix it up ( I can say this because I have most if not all of the needed parts ).
I have seen running motors sell on ebay for $50-$200+, Rims, hubs, and the CDI box get listed on Ebay all the time also.

Should you fix it up? That is completely your choice. It will take some time and some money ( maybe a little, maybe a lot ). If you have the time and money, and ability to fix it up. Then go for it. Once you get it together you can take pride in it. ;)

Just my 2 1/2 cents.
Howdy

Crash104936221
10-23-2003, 05:10 PM
thanks

ok
what years are compatible for the cdi box?

what is the plug number/code for this engine?

is there a book that i can buy to help avoid all the little questions i have?

thanks for your help Howdy
Joe