PDA

View Full Version : gas in oil

ustin666
05-19-2011, 10:11 AM
i have a gas in my oil what could it be. help

willreed03
05-19-2011, 11:03 AM
What kind of bike? If it's a 2 stroke then could be bad crankseals...if it's a 4 stroke then it could be the rings are bad (and it would also smoke like crazy) or you flooded the motor at one point. If you provide as many details as possible it is much easier to diagnose problems, or at least attempt to help diagnose problems.

mohadib
05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
on 4 strokes is their a carb overflow that goes into the crank case?

willreed03
05-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I have never seen a carb overflow go into the crankcase. There is a crank breather hose that comes off the crankcase though.

acidburn
05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I have never seen a carb overflow go into the crankcase. There is a crank breather hose that comes off the crankcase though.

somes bikes are set up with the crank case breather in the airbox, and sometimes flooding carb gas goes into the airbox and down the breather. but that is rare.

justin4
05-19-2011, 11:44 AM
You flooded it.

Midnite_rider
05-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Or a bad headgasket. That happened to my zero turn mower. The oil level kept rising. I have heard of leaking oil and burning, but never making oil. I figured out the headgasket was blown. I cracked her open and there it was. A small spot in the headgasket. Replaced the gasket and good as new. I got lucky since it was a 2 cylinder that I guessed the correct head.

AtcFactoryRacer
05-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Turn your petcock OFF after every ride when you park the bike... If the gas is left on it can fill up the carb, run into the intake and into the cylinder, then the gas will seep past the rings into the crankcase... I had a 83 200x that did that everytime if you didnt turn the gas off, and I bought a 87 ysr50 one time that sat in a shed for 10 years and the crankcase was full of gas, the tranny was seized up because of it.... ITS NOT A MYTH it does happen!!

Ironbnder
05-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Turn your petcock OFF after every ride when you park the bike... If the gas is left on it can fill up the carb, run into the intake and into the cylinder, then the gas will seep past the rings into the crankcase... I had a 83 200x that did that everytime if you didnt turn the gas off, and I bought a 87 ysr50 one time that sat in a shed for 10 years and the crankcase was full of gas, the tranny was seized up because of it.... ITS NOT A MYTH it does happen!!

This is very common with riding lawnmowers. I have installed several inline gas valves for this reason.

Thorpe
05-19-2011, 06:30 PM

I agree with this statement 100%. Have had this happen in the past...

atc007
05-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Put a new needle and seat in it,problem solved for another 20. It could be simply dirty,but when you can't even tell us the year and model.....

tri again
05-20-2011, 02:02 PM
X10 with atcRacer and Thorpe

I almost ruined one of my fav bigreds.

Float valves should not be trusted
and 'off' on the fuel petcock is not always off.

I always make sure fuel off is actually off.

Fuel can run into the cylinder and dilute the oil.

Deathrocket
05-22-2011, 02:05 AM
even if its just running rich enough it can do that, the excess fuel washes the oil of the cylinder and lets compression by and unburnt fuel past the rings, into the oil, is it fowling the plug?

Tuff
05-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Turn your petcock OFF after every ride when you park the bike... If the gas is left on it can fill up the carb, run into the intake and into the cylinder, then the gas will seep past the rings into the crankcase... I had a 83 200x that did that everytime if you didnt turn the gas off, and I bought a 87 ysr50 one time that sat in a shed for 10 years and the crankcase was full of gas, the tranny was seized up because of it.... ITS NOT A MYTH it does happen!!wouldn't that mean a bad needle and or seat? a properly maintained carb shouldn't do that, IMO. :beer

Deathrocket
05-22-2011, 11:35 AM
^ what he said.. still its good to turn it off.. that's why they put it there.....

ctbale
05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
always ... always shut off your gas when ya done for the day, or especially when its on a trailer or truck.