PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r throttle cable help?

Brockey
05-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Hey, I got the throttle cable busted on my 86 250r. I ordered one from the local Honda dealership and they said it would be in on Tuesday last week. Well this is a week and a few days later and they still don't have it. I missed out on riding last week and guaranteed I will be the long weekend without it also. Is there a throttle cable from something else newer or older that will work? Is there a dirt bike twist throttle set up that would fit?

I know I can get the cables online and the twist throttle, but I want my bike to be on the move tomorrow. Any ideas. If any cables fit it besides I will see if the stealership has it in stock.

Thxs

atc500x
05-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Your cable can probably be repaired.If the problem is only the inner wire,check for an old motorcycle throttle cable,keep the end that fit in the thumb throttle,cut the other side to the good lenght,and reuse the end of you 250r cable(carb side).This end is only welded,heat it with a small torch and reweld it on your new cable.
I'm doing it many time when I need a custom cable.

Brockey
05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
My cable is frayed on the carb side and pinning the slide open. Full throttle only on the R isnt very much fun like I figured. Lol. I am gonna take it off and go to a bike salvage yard and see if I can match something up to get me thru the weekend until the new one gets here I guess. Maybe they can make one up for me to get me by. Thxs for the help.
I wonder how long the cable is? I will know once I take it off tho.