PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam Motor Treatment

mrmello
05-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Ok so I have been using seafoam in my fuel now for almost a year. I use it in everything that has an engine. I sell the stuff to at the auto parts store I work at lol.

Now this stuff can be used in the engine oil as well. Its supposed to burn out any carbon that is in the engine instantly. I do know of people putting it in their cars and trucks engine with excellent results. Just wondering what if anyone has run it in the wet clutch system. I was thinking about doing a treatment with it and then just idle it for 10 min and dump the oil.

While we are on the subject. Anyone run the Lucas stuff as well????

big red hemi
05-18-2011, 10:31 PM
ive used it in my 200x. in the fuel and in the oil. i road it around for about 2 hours then dumped the oil. i did not notice any adverse affects with the clutch.

jbmatt
05-18-2011, 11:01 PM
I run it in all my bikes gas, as well as my corvette, because they sit awhile between rides. Works great. I have used it to flush old, bad oil in some abused bikes and never felt any adverse effects. As a matter of fact I feel that it helped free up a sticking clutch on a bike that sat for years.

mrmello
05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
I use it in the gas on everything.

Think I am going to try it on the engine now too. Was just worried that it might have some adverse effects on the clutch.

pablo
05-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Lucas is good stuff.

I use Lucas ATF in the forks of my 85R. Lucas semi-synthetic 2 stroke at 36:1 burns clean and hasn't fouled a plug yet.

The Goat
05-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Don't use the Lucas stuff in your engine oil...good bye clutches.

Yamaha ring free works better than sea foam but runs 30 bucks a bottle. But one bottle does 110 gallons or so. More for your money. I run a little ring free through the car whenever I get a free bottle. As far as fuel treatments in bikes, the only one I have running right now is my popo... And it gets less than 12 mpg when we get on it lol

mrmello
05-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Don't use the Lucas stuff in your engine oil...good bye clutches.

Yamaha ring free works better than sea foam but runs 30 bucks a bottle. But one bottle does 110 gallons or so. More for your money. I run a little ring free through the car whenever I get a free bottle. As far as fuel treatments in bikes, the only one I have running right now is my popo... And it gets less than 12 mpg when we get on it lol

Thanks for the info on the lucas!! I thought it might be bad for the clutches.

Just realized that at work I can get the Rotella 15w40 everyone is talking about so now I am going to use that for engine oil lol.

I get seafoam at a incredible price!! We sell it over the counter for 8.26 a bottle so I get better then that ;)

RIDE-RED 250r
05-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Im not sure the 15w-40 is safe for wet clutches either. I use it in my diesel John Deere garden tractor and nowhere on the bottle did it say it was safe for wet clutches. Which I wouldnt really expect since it is primarily a diesel engine oil.

atc007
05-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Seriously,and honestly. Has anyone here ,EVER ruined a wet clutch with a so called good oil. 1st hand,,not you heard this and that,or your brothers friend said... YOU put a top quality oil in an engine,and the wet clutches slip so bad you had to replace them! I wanna hear it!! I know 1st hand there are some incredible lubricants out there,I also know,,MOST of the general hype,,is exactly that.

mrmello
05-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Im not sure the 15w-40 is safe for wet clutches either. I use it in my diesel John Deere garden tractor and nowhere on the bottle did it say it was safe for wet clutches. Which I wouldnt really expect since it is primarily a diesel engine oil.

This thread says it all:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?126588-Never-before-seen-Honda-ATC-s-(proto-types)/page5

The oil has been used for many many years and a Factory Honda Racer is recommending it so I think it would be safe.

As for regular oil wrecking clutches. Yes I bought a honda off my brother in law that had it for years. He ran regular cheap motor oil in it and it did ruin the clutches. So much that I had to change them.

Bottom line most oils are no good for wet clutches. If I remember correctly it has to be SJ rated which Rotella 15W40 is.

Thorpe
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Seriously,and honestly. Has anyone here ,EVER ruined a wet clutch with a so called good oil. 1st hand,,not you heard this and that,or your brothers friend said... YOU put a top quality oil in an engine,and the wet clutches slip so bad you had to replace them! I wanna hear it!! I know 1st hand there are some incredible lubricants out there,I also know,,MOST of the general hype,,is exactly that.

Yep... I went cheap, Valvoline 10w30, non wet clutch oil in my BR, and it stated to slip right away afterwards... (granted clutch was 25 y/o) After the new clutch, its only wet clutch oils....

The Goat
05-20-2011, 10:10 AM
I slipped my 300's clutch running rotella. I wiped out a clutch in a 70 running mobile one.

I don't skimp on my oils anymore. I run motul double ester bike oil in anything with a wet clutch, and castrol edge in anything without a wet clutch. My Polaris gets oem fluids, except for oil, then it either gets high end yamalube or 10w60 full synthetic.

But yes, your clutches can take a beating from cheap oil.

Lord Letto 20
05-20-2011, 10:14 AM
On the topic of oil, i went to my local Honda dealer on Wednesday and I was told to use 10W40, mineral oil, not synthetic.

Kale
05-20-2011, 01:36 PM
ever tried vegetable oil? like canola or olive oil maybe? lol. just kiddin. never herd of putting mineral oil in clutches before, but just because i haven't doesn't mean it won't work tho...

BigRed_Ryno
05-20-2011, 04:56 PM
we've run my '70 for nearly 20 years now on what ever gloop was on the bench, Fully, semi, you name it, it would be put in it. we'd tow sledges, trailers an all sorts with it, an to this day its still on the same clutch. (tho we would get it well hot)
ok i know they're not exactly power houses, but hell did we give it some abuse as kids, so I do wonder about this oil malarky. Im not sayin it aint true, but we've never had any issues. oh, an back on topic, I've never really used any aditives in the oil or gas, maybe as they dont get as much use these days i should...

Thorpe
05-27-2011, 08:56 AM
I look at it this way... Ever run your posi rear axle without limited slip additive?

camoweasel
05-27-2011, 11:01 AM

This is how bad information gets spread around the internet. Diesel oils, especially Rotella are all rated and tested for Allison C4 transmissons; which are nothing but (wet clutches) used in bobcats and skidders!! So....there really isn't much difference between a C4 transmisson and a motorcycle transmssion....the clutches basically are bathed in oil?? Also if you look closely on the back of the new Rotella bottles you will see that there is a JASO certification meaning that Shell had actually put there oil through the motorcycle oil certification and it passed!! Problem is, Rotella is and always will be marketed as a diesel oil. As soon as they start marketing it as a bike oil, the price will jump leaving alot of diesel guys very peede off and looking for a new favorite oil. Don't believe me, go look.

atc007
05-27-2011, 05:21 PM
This thread says it all:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?126588-Never-before-seen-Honda-ATC-s-(proto-types)/page5

The oil has been used for many many years and a Factory Honda Racer is recommending it so I think it would be safe.

As for regular oil wrecking clutches. Yes I bought a honda off my brother in law that had it for years. He ran regular cheap motor oil in it and it did ruin the clutches. So much that I had to change them.

Bottom line most oils are no good for wet clutches. If I remember correctly it has to be SJ rated which Rotella 15W40 is.
My opinion is,you probably had to change the clutches,,because they needed replaced. Not because of an oil he used 3 or 4 years prior. JMHO!

nicker71
05-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Here in Missouri many xc racers have been running rotella in their race quads for years without any adverse effects. Actually rekluse cluthes recommend it with their clutch systems. I run it in all my 3 wheelers as well as my race bike and never noticed my clutch slip.