PDA

View Full Version : Another 200X tranny bearing question

ctbale
05-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Pulled out the main shaft left bearing from the case half, it was a blind bearing. I was kinda surprised to see it was sealed on the out board side of the bearing, thats where the oil/oil press comes from. no seal on the inside. I have never seen a seal on a tranny bearing. (that might be why it failed, it was blue/fried.) I could see the seal being installed on the inside cuz it would pressurize the bearing cage, then the rest would go thru the main shaft. Question: Seal on the LH main shaft bearing? or open. I really dont want to put it in, and after the motor is built up find out I f ed it up. I would leave it open, but it seams that all the oil would bleed thru the cage, starving the main shaft and its bearings Thanks again!

WIkid500
05-17-2011, 04:57 PM
It's been a year or so since I replaced those bearings on my 200x. I vaguely remember which one you are talking about, I think mine had a seal on one side of the bearing... I put the seal towards the blind hole in the case so the bearing could fill with oil like it should.

I could see why yours was blue, they don't come from the factory with grease, and with no oil she wouldn't last long.

Dirtcrasher
05-17-2011, 05:12 PM
My 86 200X main shaft left case bearing is sealed on the outside, open on the inside. If you buy the honda bearing, it will set up that way.

The manual says nothing??

Mike (shortline) would know this answer...

Forgot to say, sometimes the back of those bearings are tight to the case and they are sealed so you can hydraulically remove them. Without the back being sealed off, the grease would push right through........

ctbale
05-17-2011, 07:00 PM
I did try the hydro removal trick! (with grease) I had a junk 12" long 1/2" extension that was just larger then 15mm, ground it down so it was like .005" smaller then the bearing, filled it with grease, and smacked it, nuthin, did it about 5 times till I noticed the horizontal cavity above the bearing was full of grease! Ended up having the local bike shop pull it for $15. Anyway, the manual does say manufacture markings up, so if this was the original bearing, that means mine is like yours DC and seal is outside, which block pressurized oil to this bearing, but I guess if splash oil is good enuf for the other bearings. But the "drawing" in the manual, you can see they drew the balls, probably does not mean anything I am going to wait to install it till I hear from shortline.

shortline10
05-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Yes the seal goes inside toward the case .

ctbale
05-17-2011, 09:08 PM
like this? I haven't drivin it in yet. thanks mike!

shortline10
05-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Yep you got it .

like this? I haven't drivin it in yet. thanks mike!