PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r bored to 256 carb/reed/pipe advice needed

Greaser1
05-15-2011, 10:03 PM
I picked up a 85 250r from a good friend several weeks ago. He gave it to me for a great price, along with a metric sh*t ton of parts. So here's the deal...

I tore the engine down after finding cracks in the cases and swapped both sides for a few included in the parts. I have the engine back together and almost ready to go. The engine is bored to 67.25. Also included in parts was a 38mm PJ carb and some type of aftermarket muffler that looks like an old FMF. I redneck engineered a cone filter on using a rubber coupling from lowes, a piece of pvc pipe, and some bubble gum.

So far I replaced front tire, all cables, chain and sprockets (12T/39T), bolted spacers on rear, all seals and gaskets, and just about every bolt aside from the bolts that hold the engine together. I tested cdi and coil yesterday and found that both were bad, so I ordered used replacements. Everything on the bike has been taken apart, cleaned, and painted.

Keep in mind this is a budget build. I told my wife no more than $1500 would be spent on it (for now) and I'm really close to topping out. I'm sure I'll need an aftermarket pipe at some point and a reed update. My questions are:

What can I do now to ensure this thing runs right?

Can I get away with the stock pipe for now?

What type of reed should I go with? I tried a Boyeson reed valve out and the carb will not fit because of the angle. Should I use the stock valve with boyeson reeds?

Given the recommendations, I'll also need advice on jet size. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get a reply, thanks in advance.