PDA

View Full Version : 250sx locked up?

skidoo99
05-15-2011, 09:44 PM
this is going to sound strange, but im very confused. went out riding the other day and was messing around climbing hills. long story short the bike went over on me and rolled twice down the hill and stalled. once i got it turned over i was shocked as all that was damaged were the bars being tweaked. so i let it sit a couple and kicked it over 3 times and on the fourth time it locked up. kick starter is locked and when its in gear it wont roll. so i towed it home and pulled the plug thinking maybe oil got in the cyl and hydro locked? cyl was free of any oil. this is a fresh topend and it was running great so im prety sure the piston isnt stuck. anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance

smvorndran
05-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Maybe some chunk of something that shouldn't have been in there got sloshed into the gears on the rollover. I'd say take off one of the side covers and try to turn the crank back & forth to dislodge it. Either way, something's going to be wrenched on. These machines aren't very complicated, so it should be an easy fix. Good luck!

code200k
05-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Im guessing it shifts fine and the shifter isnt bent?

skidoo99
05-16-2011, 04:57 AM
Im guessing it shifts fine and the shifter isnt bent?

yep no damage there

honda4h
05-16-2011, 12:49 PM
i picked up a 250es that had a smiler story the guy rolled it over tried to start it and it was seized. i picked it up for parts so i wanted to try to get it running. i took the stator cover off and a piece of starter gear was jammed between flywheel and stator the motor moved free after that. put it together ran good for 10 min then timing chain broke however the chain sounded bad. and broke at idle. look at your starter gears and see if they are missing teeth.

skidoo99
05-16-2011, 04:09 PM
well got her in the basement and put a freshly charged battery on and whalla, the electric starter cranked it over and it started up. kicker was free for a couple kicks and then kept locking up so i would use the electric start and it would keep turning over on starter motor only.

there was an ongoing problem with my kicker for a while. every now and then i would be like kicking air or skipping and sometimes it would catch and work. i will check the starter motor gears tonight but i think they will be ok. never had the right side case off for the kicker so im a little weary. any tips would be apprecitaed. thanks all~!!

skidoo99
06-12-2011, 08:11 PM
update: ive got the motor torn down and am still having some problems. i have a spare motor that is still pretty complete. i swapped out the kicker assy and still is locking up. on my spare motor, i am able to spin the clutches both directions but on my broken motor they only spin one way. should they spin freely both ways>? also, i noticed that on the stator side of the motor, that only spins one way also. there are rollers behing the pulley that keep it from rotating one way. im so confused and really wanna figure this thing out so i can ride again. please help!!! thanks

skidoo99
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
nobody has any idea's???