PDA

View Full Version : tri-z first ride after rebuild, tranny problem.

jmax857
05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Okay so,
Tonight after work I tried to take my tri z out for the first ride. After I rebuilt it top to bottom. I had the tranny apart, and to my knowledge its together corrctly. Problem is that it won't go into first gear. It seeems to slam into gear, and then make a "skipping" noise.then won't come out of gear until I shut the motor down and rock the bike a little. I drove it in second, it shifts through all other gears just fine. Just first is the problem. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm stumped, and I'm hoping I don't have to tear that tranny down again. Ill try and post a vid, I'm on my phone so it mightbe hard, but bear with me. Any help or advice would be very appreciated...

Dirtcrasher
05-10-2011, 09:59 PM
If it's slamming and skipping, you my have a thrust washer missing or in the wrong place. Unless you took every gear off the shaft (backwards gear), thats all I can imagine aside from an external linkage issue being loose or only half engaging the star wheel detents.

I hate to be the spoiler, but you may have to split it again..........

jmax857
05-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Ill take the clutch cover off tomorrow or the daay after and have a look. If I was missing the thrust washer between the clutch basket and hub. Would it do that? I'm going to look and see if my shift fork is opeerating the drum properly. I didn't take the gears off the splines to inspect the gears, quite possibly the gear may be broken, the bike was a basket case, and I had never drove it prior to the rebuild. Maybe it was a previous problem... Any other thrust washers on the outside of the tranny? And would they make a difference?