PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC 200x Questions!

AlbinoDuck
05-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I just bought a 1985 200x for a few hundred yesterday and i have some questions. How much oil should i put in it, what kind of oil should i put in it(im willing to run synthetic to help make it last/run better). Also whats a good way to flush the exhaust it has a bunch of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro in it.

pcollins
05-08-2011, 09:43 PM
85 200x...lemme look in my old book stash here and get back to you. Synthetic oils are nearly useless in ATVs in my opinion, just keep your oil changed and you'll be fine.

EDIT: 1.1 qts of 10w-40.

hillbilly 200x
05-08-2011, 10:03 PM
do NOT run synthetic oil It will mess with your clutch. the clutch was never designed to run synthetic. Just put some type of highter grade 10w-40 motor oil. What is in the exhause? If its somthing like a mouse nest then you could blow it out with compressed air

rdlsz24
05-08-2011, 10:06 PM
You can put your muffler in a fire, it will cook the old crap out of it.

Run a 10w-40 atv/motorcycle oil compatible with wet clutch engines. Valvoline makes it for under $5 a quart. You can get it at AuzoZone I think

Rob

dksix
05-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm using Valvoline ATV oil in my 4 strokes. I says on the back the it is for use on wet clutches. I thought my manual said 1.3 quarts.

AlbinoDuck
05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Alright ill make sure to use 10w-40 i just put some synthetic in it for the first start but its not in driving condition yet. So ill just drain it out hopefully thats not a problem. Other than that my exhaust just has a bunch of dirt and grime in it so ill prob just wash it out or something

AtcFactoryRacer
05-09-2011, 01:07 AM
I think you would be wasting your time by putting synthetic in it and then draining it back out. Synthetic is not going to help you break in your engine or make it last longer. Never run synthetic or any type of oil designed for cars, they contain friction reducing additives that is harmful for your wet clutch and cause it to slip. like DKSIX said valvoline atv oil works just fine and you can buy it at autozone or places like that. The key to a long lasting engine is regularly changing your oil. I change my oil in my 250sx every 10-15 hours ride time even if it still looks clean(any usually does)

Xpress
05-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Don't even bother putting synthetic in it. Put good oil in it from the start, the last thing you want to do is have to pull your clutch apart to replace the plates (wouldn't be that bad of an idea if they slip anyways). I recommend Honda GN4. Love that stuff. Bit expensive, but you can't ever go wrong with Honda. I have also used Valvoline, which works pretty well too. Make sure it's designed for wet clutch applications, or it will slip like crazy.

redskinman
05-09-2011, 08:23 AM
what about the honda brand oil HP-4? It says its a high performance 4 stroke motor oil.Its a synthetic-petroleum blend WITHOUT moly.Thats what im running,if thats not right I need to get it out.

WIkid500
05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I love to hear the synthetic oil myths you guy's post up..... Synthetic oil that is designed for a wet clutch is good to go. IE: Amsoil 10-40 synthetic motorcycle oil.

AlbinoDuck
05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Alright, well im going to pick up some 10w-40 used for wet clutches today so hopefully thatll work. Any other suggestions?

jb2wheels
05-09-2011, 03:07 PM
That HP4 is good stuff - read the label before you drain it out.

redskinman
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM
That HP4 is good stuff - read the label before you drain it out.

Ive read the label,it doesnt say whether its ok for wet clutches.it says not intended for all engines,especially those with automatic or centrifigal clutches.i called my honda dealership and the guy i talked to said it would be fine to run it in my 200x{if he knows what he's talking about]

Xpress
05-09-2011, 10:23 PM
HP4 is perfectly fine for Honda Wet clutch engines.

redskinman
05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
HP4 is perfectly fine for Honda Wet clutch engines.

Great
Thanks

Trip
05-09-2011, 11:48 PM
1.43 quarts.

i use honda gn4 oil.

http://data.cyclegiant.com/pgroups/3485_image1.JPG

ctbale
05-10-2011, 08:52 AM
I use moble 1 10w-40 (5qt jug from walmart) in everything I own, no moly. (ok, it has moly, but only 100ppm) if it says energy conserving in the circle on the back, that means its got moly, and your clutch will slip. The main reason I use syn, is the tranny shifts silky smooth with it vs reg. And where I live sometimes I need to start the eng at 10F. I do a long break in on new top ends with reg 10w-40 first. M1 in everything, street bikes, dirt bikes, 3 wheelers, lawnmowers ...

AlbinoDuck
05-10-2011, 08:46 PM
hopefully ill have it running this weekend!

fabiodriven
05-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I love to hear the synthetic oil myths you guy's post up..... Synthetic oil that is designed for a wet clutch is good to go. IE: Amsoil 10-40 synthetic motorcycle oil.

My god. We got to 10 posts before somebody here made any sense.

I love how readily you guys offer up your "expert advice" for other people to use on their machines they spent their hard earned money on and sweat over to keep running. Synthetic oils are superior over conventional motor oils in almost every way. Yes, it pays to get the right kind mostly because of the wet clutch. This is common knowledge. In my opinion these small engines, especially the air cooled ones, have more of a use for synthetic oils than anything else. I have been running synthetic in all of my trikes and street bikes for years. It's tried and true and has been proven both in labs and on the racetrack.

Where the hell you guys been?

ctbale
05-12-2011, 10:02 PM
My god. We got to 10 posts before somebody here made any sense.

I love how readily you guys offer up your "expert advice" for other people to use on their machines they spent their hard earned money on and sweat over to keep running. Synthetic oils are superior over conventional motor oils in almost every way. Yes, it pays to get the right kind mostly because of the wet clutch. This is common knowledge. In my opinion these small engines, especially the air cooled ones, have more of a use for synthetic oils than anything else. I have been running synthetic in all of my trikes and street bikes for years. It's tried and true and has been proven both in labs and on the racetrack.

Where the hell you guys been?

go fab!! thats tellin em! but seriously, its the moly that kills/slips the clutch, its not rocket science, the syn is sooooo much better for a hot aircooled top end, and the gears like it too cuz its slippery

mtsnieg
05-13-2011, 10:07 AM
10w40 AMSOIL motorcycle synthetic here. Goes in all my trikes and dirtbikes. The only time I don't use it is for new engine break in. It actually lubricates too well for engine break in and won't allow the rings to seat as well as non synthetic oil.