PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question. Choke related.

Trip
05-07-2011, 07:02 PM
ye..just a quick question. The choke is clearly off ...or my 3wheeler wouldnt run... but i was changen oil today (changed it...maybe 1 month ago... it was black already...changed now..put honda gn4 10w40 in it) But when i was tippin it on its side to get all the oil out... the carb dripped a lil gas also...and i was like o...that looks like a choke.

So down..is clearly off....up 1 would be mid? and up all the way would be full choke? (wanted to know cuz yesterday after i washed it (sprayed water to get all mud off) it didnt want to idle down and was smoken a lil hard..i checked oil was about a half quart low) It does run fine however once it runs for about 30 seconds and idles down. And do u recommend starting it with the choke on then since it likes to idle real high when first started (usually starts on first good pull). Full choke/Half choke?

thx for any tips.

atc007
05-07-2011, 07:33 PM
WHAT ! ? SOUNDS like you have a 200s? 185s? Yes,down is run,up is choke. It should not use oil,not noticeably. Does it smoke? It must. You can adjust your idle down,but likely your carb and or intake o ring are shot,making it idle very irratically. The carb is supposed to drip gas when laid on it's side. Hope this helps?

Trip
05-07-2011, 07:45 PM
ye that hepls...forgot to mention. I have a 1981 atc 200. 192cc 5 gears. it does smoke a bit when it first starts but not much after that. The previous owner SAID the carb was just rebuilt. So... i should start it at bout half choke? cuz...once it idles down...it will die if u dont tap the gas a lil bit or get moven. The first time i changed the oil...the previous owner had clearly not done it at all...cuz it was blacker then night. I put Castrol 10w40 actevo in it.. said it was specially formalized or w/e for the 4 stroke. It was then nice and ...not as black as the older oil...but it was black and thick when i changed it and it burned about a half quart within ehhh 10 hours of riden. Hopefully the honda oil does it some justice.

this my ride:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9751/042801154001.jpg

and yes u did help a lil bit. and ye the motor probly could use a rebuild...to bennefit it... but im not that mechanically inclined. although i would love it to be rebuilt..but im also poor white trash so cant pay some 1 to do it. but it does run good.

atc007
05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Next time you change your oil,after your oil is all drained out,put a half gallon of gas,or kerosene,or diesel in th eenginew the plug back in finger tight,slosh it all around a few minutes,and drain out,then puke! All that gray crap is what's coarsing thru your engine! Clutch grit most of it,dirt ,depending on rather or not it's had a n oiled air filter in it. As far as choke goes. They are ALL different animals,start it the way it wants to be started! Above 50 or so,most 200's don't want ANY choke at all. The Honda oil should help a little. Good luck!

Trip
05-07-2011, 08:45 PM
i just changed the oil a few minutes ago. But thx for the tip ill poor some gas in it and see what comes out. the ...oil i justed drained out it...was nasty...and it hasnt been in there long. but i think i will stick with the honda oil. I was just concerned cuz it wouldnt idle down....so...if it dont ill hit the choke then. oiled air filter... i have no idea. I know when i FIRST changed the oil...the oil "filter" the lil screen thing... was super clogged i soaked it in some chemicals forever and washed it and it still got a lil spot here n there of some crust. Washed it again when i changed the oil today. Haven't drove it since i changed oil though, light still dont work...and i was grillin me some food so ... cant ride and grill lol. but thx again for the poor some gas in tip...i did wanna kinda flush that out..but the oil i had put in it trailprotrailpro...did seem to flush something out...since it turned black also. But i still got enuff oil for another oil change so.. i will change it again here after a few more hours of riden. It still runs like a champ though. i mud in it... hit 5th gear in a 1/4 mile... just hope it stays doin that lol.

Xpress
05-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Carb dripping a little gas is normal, they're supposed to empty the bowl in the bottom if it is turned over or put on its side to keep the engine from running.

Trip
05-07-2011, 09:25 PM
wow... honda oil <3 i was gonna wait till tomorow cuz im about out of sunlight (headlight dont work....somen in the wiring....) but i decided to start it up.... fired it up at half choke.. Did NOT idle high and did NOT smoke like it used to.... rode it ...5 minutes.. felt better..sounded better..wasn't smoken... still gotta tap the gas a lil in neutral or it will die but i got no problem hittin the gas :) so half choke and honda oil for the win! now i just need fix headlight :/ (replaced bulb...ehh need volt tester to see what wire is what) thx for the tip xpress.... it died when i ran it into a tree in 4th gear hahahahah 3rd gear in that turn now...3rd gear...poor fender..thnk u ductape.