PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki KLT 200 won't start

RottN
05-07-2011, 12:59 AM
I bought a 1981 Kawasaki KLT 200 over the winter and it ran(a bit rough). Now it will not start at all. The motor turns over and it gets spark. Me and my dad cleaned the carb with some carb cleaner. He said maybe it needs a carb kit. Does that sound about right? If so, where is a good place to buy one?

One more thing: I heard something about the KLT's having a manual locking differential. Is this true? If so, how do I lock it because when I got stuck this winter it was only spinning one wheel. Thanks for any info!

90guy
05-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Well i dont know anything about a kawi. My buddy had one and he said it would run decent one day. next wouldnt run at all and he said hed have to adjust the valves and it run good again. Carb kit wouldnt hurt anything always nice to put in.

RottN
05-07-2011, 01:07 AM
How exactly do you go about adjusting the valves? Sorry i'm not much of a gearhead.

MonroeMike
05-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Look here.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?126871-KLT200-250-Service-Data

RubberSalt
05-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Check compression, These bikes have a bad head design, they warp easy. If the compression is low, it's either going to be the valves or the head usually on these bikes. You will probably see a ring of oil around the head, this is normal. Now if you crank the engine over and see oil bubbling out... thats when you need to be worried.

I've had the head warp on me twice with this engine. I ended up running it on the rich side to keep it cool. Always let them warm up slowly. Mines also ported + different exhaust setup.

I've made a page on the KLT200 with information directly from the book, including cam installation. A lot of people think it's 180degrees out, but it is not.