PDA

View Full Version : 1985 125m putting the shift arm in and buttoning it up. Couple of ??

barbershop
05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Machine wasn't shifting well. Took the side cover off and discovered the shift arm was broken. Ordered a new one. Question - When I put the shift arm in is there any particular way I need to line it up with the selector plate that it rides against? I have it in, shifted it up and down through the gears, seems to be working but I just want to be sure that before I button it up that I have it done correctly. Also I was able to fish out the broken piece that was at the bottom of the engine case. Also I noticed that there are some wear marks on the back of the primary gear, I am assuming due to the broken shift are probably doing a bit of damage. Not sure if this matters. Looking for input. Anything else I should be aware of when I button this back up?

shortline10
05-06-2011, 06:03 PM
You should be all set . Doesnt matter what position the drum is in but remember to put it into neutral before you try and start it .

barbershop
05-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Cool. Thanks shortline10. You seem like you know quite a bit about these rigs. Wondering your opinion. This machine is in pretty fair shape, all of the plastic and guards decent, not showing much wear for the age. It came with a couple of accessorizes - trailer hitch, some kind of universal rack that bolts onto the grab bar, a headlight cage, and a skid plate that covers the front of the engine and has bars that wrap around to the pegs. Any value to any of those items or worth putting on the machine? I doubt the thing will get much use as it stands. This 85 125 came with an 86 125 (had to take them both) which looks to be completely different. I am more interested in fixing up the 86 as it seems to be more roomy of a chassis plus has reverse so was thinking it'd make a decent little yard worker...

shortline10
05-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Yep I prefer the 86/87 model 125m myself also . Here is a thread on mine http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?102112-1987-125m-with-83-85-200x-cam-upgrade-New-pics-Added&highlight=

Cool. Thanks shortline10. You seem like you know quite a bit about these rigs. Wondering your opinion. This machine is in pretty fair shape, all of the plastic and guards decent, not showing much wear for the age. It came with a couple of accessorizes - trailer hitch, some kind of universal rack that bolts onto the grab bar, a headlight cage, and a skid plate that covers the front of the engine and has bars that wrap around to the pegs. Any value to any of those items or worth putting on the machine? I doubt the thing will get much use as it stands. This 85 125 came with an 86 125 (had to take them both) which looks to be completely different. I am more interested in fixing up the 86 as it seems to be more roomy of a chassis plus has reverse so was thinking it'd make a decent little yard worker...