PDA

View Full Version : 225DX Valve Question

mrmello
05-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Ok so I took my carb to yamaha and they soaked in in the sonic bath. Didnt change how the dx was running.

Took the valve covers off, waited till engine cooled down and set it at TDC. The intake valve seemed a bit off but the exhaust valve moves almost 1/4 inch or better!!!!!!!

Do I have a stuck valve????

I rotated the engine multiple times and everytime I put it to TDC there was stupid amount of play!!!

I am getting a set of feeler gauges tomorrow.

There is still good compression but its backfiring through the carb and I am sure that its my valves. how can I tell if the exhaust valve is stuck?

bobotech
05-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Leak down test?

mrmello
05-05-2011, 10:24 PM
more worried about valve clearance right now

muthey
05-06-2011, 04:28 AM
readjust your valve to where it's at the right amount and see if it stays where it's supposed to if you are really concerned you'll have to pull the head and check to see if it is sticking. Let me know if you are going to need a new head, I have one laying around I'll sell for cheap but my guess is if it is stick you probably only need a valve stem seal

mrmello
05-06-2011, 08:42 AM
I guarantee the valve is stuck open. I cant adjust the rocker arm enough to touch the top of the valve.

I am thinking it might be a broken spring or its just stuck.

If you can remember my earlier post when I started having this trouble I said that the exhaust got louder? Well thats the problem.

I am going to try fluid film on it and see if that will unstick it or see if its a broken valve spring.

Dont think Its the valve spring though because if I pull on the valve I cant get it to come back up.

muthey
05-06-2011, 01:08 PM
I think your best bet will be going on ebay and buying a gasket set, I bought an spi set that came with valve stem seals, only real way to fix that permanently will be to pull the head. I know it looks like a chore but it's really not that bad. Also if you pull the head you'll be able to emery the shaft on the valve, to clean it up for the new seal, and clean out any build up that would prevent it from sealing

mrmello
05-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Explaining what is happening is kind of hard so I went a took a few pictures of what is going on.

The Engine timing looks right to me
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/atcriders/trikemotor001-1.jpg

You can see here how much I can lift the rocker? arm.
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/atcriders/trikemotor005.jpg

leevarnado
05-07-2011, 12:48 AM
looks like your gonna have to pull the head.if the valve is stuck you should be able to see it.