PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean a carbeurator?

leprogle
10-20-2003, 11:11 PM
I took the bowl off of my 185s carb, took the floats out and soaked it in paint thinner for a couple hours. should that have done the trick? or should it have been longer, or is that just plain not the way to clean a carb. it keeps revving high at an idle, and then when I tap the throttle it idles down, i was told the needle is probably sticking, but also I noticed on the........cylindrical thing that is above the needle has 2 round grooves one above the other(from wear) where the idle screw would sit, would that make it rev high when it is idling? i have a couple spares, that i don't think have wear grooves in them, should I switch to one without the wear, or would they not matter?

Albino
10-21-2003, 07:24 AM
Take all the jets out and blow everything with compressed air and carb cleaner.

Hoodlum
10-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Bump cause I'd like to hear suggestions (rebuilt many carbs but suggestions are always good, might learn something new) as I need to do my carb before I can ride again. I let it sit with the petcock open. :oops:

ejc042
10-21-2003, 11:35 AM
The grooves where th idle screw hits could be the problem. If the slide hite the edge of the lower groove the idle will be higher and the throttle tap may let it drop past that point and bring the idle down. If you have on without the grooves, put it in, adjust the idle and it will probably stop the idle problem. I had the same thing on my 200X.

Hoodlum
10-21-2003, 05:02 PM
The grooves where th idle screw hits could be the problem. If the slide hite the edge of the lower groove the idle will be higher and the throttle tap may let it drop past that point and bring the idle down. If you have on without the grooves, put it in, adjust the idle and it will probably stop the idle problem. I had the same thing on my 200X.

You think those grooves are from years of velocity erosion from where the feul goes by. (kinda on the smaller orafice = higher volocity theory) If so, that's just normal wear and tear eh?

ejc042
10-21-2003, 05:09 PM
If you let the throttle slap closed alot over a long time the slide hits the idle screw over and over. Now adjust to a different setting and it will still catch the old groove once in a while.