PDA

View Full Version : what size mainjet is in your 350x??

Ddw350
10-20-2003, 10:42 PM
just curious to see what everybody is running on thier 350x's.since no one around me has one to ask,i figure you guys would come through!! ive got the standard hop-ups...k&n with the airbox lid stiil on....4"supertrappw/7discs.i changed my main to like 146...i had laying around,but i think its too rich.it does have a miss when its ideling and you gas it really quick.seems to be worse when the motors cool,but its not the end of the world.

jeswinehart
10-20-2003, 11:20 PM
i just use the stock main jet in mine ( #138 ). the only mod i have is a after market header coupled to a stock exhaust muffler.
enough for me ,,, wayyy enough !

john

Ddw350
10-20-2003, 11:22 PM
im thinking mine is too rich..i get that black carbon on the end of the muffler,also the plug seems a little dark....

jeswinehart
10-20-2003, 11:46 PM
i ain't to much a aftermarket kinda mods type ,,, but maybe try gappig your plug out ( hotter spark ) and if you aren't running a dg#7 you might go to that. somewhere in the hotter spark/ cutting back in your main jet size you should find a very happy medium i would think.

( lots better mods guys too read this i'm sure so chime right on in )

john

86waterpumper
10-21-2003, 10:03 AM
My buddy has a aftermarket header and pipe on his 350x, and we used I think a 142 or so on it. You shouldn't be way off, but it all varies according to where you're at, time of year and alot of other factors. Try taking off the airbox lid for a little while, changing to a new sparkplug and ride it around the house or something just to see if that helps it clear out. Also check what position the clip on the needle is in. If this fixes it then I would step down to a size smaller jet, if not then you may have something plugged up in the carb or other issue.

Ddw350
10-21-2003, 10:33 PM
im gonna go a size smaller on the main,then tinker with it from there.how about the idle/air adjustment[the small one under the card that you have to have a short screwdriver] i think i turned it out 1/2 turn,seemed to help the slight missat 1/8 throttle when you gun it....its possible my main could be a 148?

86waterpumper
10-21-2003, 11:57 PM
I hate to suggest any exact size jet, but a 142 might be a good starting point. If I were you, I'd probably just buy one of those five jet sets off dennis kirk or something, that way you would have several to tinker with, and if you added mods later you could go up more in size.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?catId=&leafCatId=&store=Main&productId=p170050&skuId=170050

146 or 148 might be a bit much for your mods, especially if you are still running a stock headpipe? I would set the airscrew at the stock setting whatever that might be, and the clip in the middle position with a new plug, and adjust from there.

Ddw350
10-22-2003, 06:42 PM
i,ll pick up a few from the local shop,then ill fool with it from there,i thinki did move the clip,its been so long ago i forget if imoved it up or down,ill check that when i put the jet it....any other suggestions....?

86waterpumper
10-23-2003, 10:01 AM
You might want to make 100 percent sure that your air cleaner is in good shape and clean also. K&N filters can hide dirt pretty well. Setting the valves wouldn't hurt anything either. I went through all of this crap on my 200x for months and months, and a buddy found out when he looked at it, that a bit of dirt was plugging up a airjet inside the carb. I did everything to lean it out, ran a small main, with the clip leaned out, and no airbox lid, hotter plug, vavles, fiddled with the timing, and used a can of compressed computer air to spray the carb out inside instead of a compressor, so it never really got cleaned. Once the dirt was out, the mainjet had to be bigger, clip richened up, and all the things that should have been necessary for the bike to run at the settings I knew it should. If your problem persists, you might want to tear down the carb and really inspect it, or let it soak in a can of cleaner overnight.

Ddw350
10-23-2003, 06:44 PM
dont get me wrong,this bike runs great.always starts on 2-4 kicks.its always had the small miss right off idle[i bought it off origanal owner,i can almost guarentee he didnt touch anything on this bike,execpt gas/oil] it just seems to run a littlerich.the filter was a little dirty,i cleanedit like a monthago,valves were adjusted almost a year ago.like i say,it runs very good.....i just cant leave it alone,i think that what the main problem is!....

Ddw350
10-24-2003, 08:34 PM
ok,put a 142 in today and the motor siezed up!! just kidding....seems to be fine,readjusted the air/pilot screw the best i could,and seems to be ok,ill let you all know after a week or so,thanks again!