PDA

View Full Version : 1984 tri moto help needed

patrack
05-03-2011, 09:29 PM
First off I have never worked on one of these. I worked on a racing go kart for 7 years thats about it. I picked up 1984 Yamaha tri moto model yam21y0123. It will start and run for little while, shuts off and will not start again. It has a mukini carb similar to we ran on the ohv briggs motor on the go kart. I took it apart and cleaned and still the same thing? has Fresh gas. Will any other carbs work with it? any ideas? thanks Pat

fenderbender713
05-04-2011, 12:58 AM
good clean air filter? when it runs, does it run good? does it start easily? when you try to start it does it kind of jerk your arm or backfire? we need some specifics here. and what model is it exactly? I dont really know what you mean my yam21y0123.

Chazz of Blades
05-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Wait, what?

Are you running a briggs engine on a trike frame? The carb is the same as the briggs? You made a fatal error in judging the time matrix, and are now trapped in a parallel dimension where you can only use a typewriter thats missing important keys? Timmy fell down the well?

And Tri-Moto 125(two stoke, hard body), 175(two stroke, front suspension), and 200(four stroke)

A bit of sanity really helps us answer all questions.

And, since you never even mentioned this. Did you atleast clean the carb and check the plug?

patrack
05-04-2011, 07:53 AM
It will start on the 2 or 3rd pull with half choke, It seems to run ok around in the yard for about 1 minute or 2. If I let it sit over night it will usually start again, It does not jerk on starting. I think it is a Tri-Moto 125(two stoke, hard body), How can I tell for sure?
No I am not running a briggs motor, the carb just seems similar. That was I meant I cleaned the carb several times now and put in a new plug. what plug should be in there? I did figure out you have to have the air box on to start it.

Six Stroke
05-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Did you clean out the petcock?

MonroeMike
05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
It's a YT125, according to that number.

Look here for spark plug and other info.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?126386-YT125-175-Service-Data

Six Stroke
05-04-2011, 01:09 PM
It will start on the 2 or 3rd pull with half choke, It seems to run ok around in the yard for about 1 minute or 2. If I let it sit over night it will usually start again, It does not jerk on starting. I think it is a Tri-Moto 125(two stoke, hard body), How can I tell for sure?
No I am not running a briggs motor, the carb just seems similar. That was I meant I cleaned the carb several times now and put in a new plug. what plug should be in there? I did figure out you have to have the air box on to start it.

The 125 has a four-bolt head, where the 175 has six-bolt.

So, it won't start without the airbox?

Sounds like you're running out of fuel. Clean the petcock, check the float level and the condition of the needle, and make sure all the vent hoses are clean.

patrack
05-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Looks like I figured it out, a mouse must put some nuts or corn in the intake of the motor or was in the air box when someone tried to start it. It is running now just need to adjust carb a little.

trizilla
05-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Wait, what?

Are you running a briggs engine on a trike frame? The carb is the same as the briggs? You made a fatal error in judging the time matrix, and are now trapped in a parallel dimension where you can only use a typewriter thats missing important keys? Timmy fell down the well?

And Tri-Moto 125(two stoke, hard body), 175(two stroke, front suspension), and 200(four stroke)

A bit of sanity really helps us answer all questions.

And, since you never even mentioned this. Did you atleast clean the carb and check the plug?

are you serious?????? did you read his post before you started running off at the mouth? he said it has a carb similar to his racing OHV briggs.. i for one have built many of these engine's and its not uncommon to see a float style mikuni carb on one....