PDA

View Full Version : too much oil in an engine

1984 honda 200s
05-02-2011, 10:11 PM
hello, i was wondering, im about to buy another bike but its blown. The day the bike seized i noticed it smoking really bad and running poorly. its a 4stroke
When i checked the bike out, the dip stick was about 1/2 quart to much oil in the bike.
The day she seized, it was ran for about a half hour, we pulled it back to my buddies place and on the way down he tryed to kick the bike over again and it started up! he rode it for about 15mins and it locked up on him again.
my question is, could too much oil seize an engine? and what parts would be blown?

dougspcs
05-03-2011, 06:56 AM
I don't think 1/2 is enough to blow seals, cause lockups and do any real damage. If the oil is over full you would notice a lack of power because the piston would be splashing down to into an overfull crankcase every time it came down. It would run a little hotter from the extra effort the engine would have to put out to run, but the weather here hasn't been warm enough to cause it to seize from overheat.

The smoking really badly and running poorly are totally understandable..

Instead of what parts could be blown, I suggest you drain the oil down to the proper level and try it again.

1984 honda 200s
05-04-2011, 12:05 AM
the lads drained it till the proper level. Its seized tight. its been seized for about 2 years. Thay even tryed to drag it down the road and pop it into gear, nothing. Cant kick it over at all.
I think a rebuild is nessisary like the top end but not sure if it would of affected the bottom end?

tri again
05-04-2011, 01:25 AM
I've seen gas drain into the oil
if the gas valve leaks or doesn't get shut off.

Diluted oil can't be any good.

dougspcs
05-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Sounds like there is more too this than meets the eye..pull it, tear is down and have a look.

But then again if you haven't bought this then walk away..there will be others.

1984 honda 200s
05-04-2011, 07:30 PM
yeah i may just walk away, id love to have a looksee to see what it actually needs. The lad wants an 11hp mowing engine +100cash for the bike... cosmetically good condition, mechanically poor. Even has title for it ! new booties all around- a very good set of Spyder treks !!!!

dougspcs
05-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Kinda has 'parts machine' written all over it..I'd pay accordingly.

Trade for the mow engine and call it even..a decent one is $250 anyway.

Fair deal I think..

1984 honda 200s
05-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Ok, that sounds about right Doug! I'll probably tear into it for fun if i get it for a good deal see what it actually needs.. Mite just end up slapping a 200s engine into it since i have a couple of them lying around !

dougspcs
05-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Now you're talkin...