PDA

View Full Version : Just back from the Algonquin West ATV Club poker run!! What a ride!!

dougspcs
05-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Hi guys, just thought I would report on the trip to Kearney this weekend.

My brother and I drove all the way up to the west of Algonquin to attend. Of 250 machines we were the only ones with trikes. Pretty cool showing those big expensive quad how to run the tough stuff.

I rode my 250SX and my brother rode my quad since the police were present this was our backup plan incase they were stationed at the road access parts of the trail. He would hook on with a strap and tow me to the next trail so I wasn't 'operating' on the roadway.

Anyway over a 100km, six hour run we didn't have to use the winch once. Almost all the quad users did..:lol:

There was still a fair bit of snow on the deep woods trails, lots of flowing water, tons of rocks and logs..plus the inevitable mud bath. The PERFECT 10 ride!!!

The weather on Saturday was epic..sunny, clear, temp started at about 7'c and ended at 17'c.

Hope you guys had a good time at Ganny, but I know we lucked out to the better part of the weekend since it didn't open til Sunday which was raining.

Here's a few pics..

PS. Hope to catch up with you over the summer..my bro and I plan at least one trip to Ganny.

We didn't get alot of video during the event because the number of people on the course didn't allow us to stop and shoot. But we went in again Sunday morning after the crowds were gone and redid some of the trails..got some video. I will post them over the next couple of days.

jmax857
05-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Looked likee fun. I was thinking about going, and taking my quad.but it Isn't back together yet. Too bad I missed out. Where you. From? There's usually lots of poker runs my way south of the park.

dougspcs
05-03-2011, 07:01 AM
I am from Sarnia, my brother is from Keswick..

We are definitely looking out for more events like this one to attend. If the course was a little less challenging we would even like to invite my dad along.

But dad has already had a heart attack and the effort of pulling a 350lb machine up out of mud baths wouldn't be cool.

This event was definitely for intermediate/advanced riders. Any novice trail rides in your area would be great..particularly in the fall.

C Kerley
05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
So explain the quad towing you. Do you mean the quad can run on those roads, but your trike cannot?

jmax857
05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm not a big mud run fan, I would. Way rather do a poker run in the. Fall or mid-summer. I don't ride utilitys so its just not my thing, but looks like you had a blast. I hope there's aanother ride at ganny this year. A buddy of mine lives about. Ten minutes from ganny and used to race trikes back in the 80's, so next ganny run I told jim I would bring both the quad and trike for us. So if you decide to go to ganny, hope to see you there

dougspcs
05-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Yah, is some municipalities of Ontario ATVs can run on the road..but a trike isn't classed as an ATV. Hence you will be charged. Since the cops make a showing at these events mostly to stop trail drinking, they warned me that my machine was caught running road sections between trails. My brother and I decided to use the quad as a tow vehicle to prevent me having to 'operate' the ATC on these short bits..

coolpool
05-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Looks like you had a good time. Hope you had chest waders on; keeps the shrink factor down:eek: Ah Ontario....the "Nanny" province that has a rule for everything. No offence but I'm glad I only suffered 24 of my 45 years there. I take it you can't plate or insure your trike there? Here they class them as bikes:wondering, which is equally stupid but at least we can ride anywhere an ATV/sled can go.

dougspcs
05-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Looks like you had a good time. Hope you had chest waders on; keeps the shrink factor down:eek: Ah Ontario....the "Nanny" province that has a rule for everything. No offence but I'm glad I only suffered 24 of my 45 years there. I take it you can't plate or insure your trike there? Here they class them as bikes:wondering, which is equally stupid but at least we can ride anywhere an ATV/sled can go.

I have plated and insured my trikes, but that is where it's weird. In order to run on the public trails you have to..but that doesn't mean they are legal for the road in municipalities where they allow it.

Only quads are legal to run on the road, no motorcycles(dirt bikes), 3 wheelers or quads with 2up seats. Quite a stupid contradiction!!!

jmax857
05-05-2011, 06:36 AM
yup. i personally think it shuld be cahnged. i also saw on the heritage trail, trail passes are required for summer too!! i believe thats all OFSC groomed trails.