PDA

View Full Version : 200x missing after rebuild,help please

redskinman
05-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Put a new top end on along with valve job and timing chain.Just finished break in.When I give it a lot of gas on the top end,mostly in 4th or 5th gear trying to go wide open it will miss and sputter a little bit.Im guessing this is a carb issue? carb is new chinese knockoff
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carburetor-Honda-ATC-200-X-200X-ATC200X-Carb-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb75f7404QQitemZ26077 4523908QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

has about 6 hrs use on it,3 on another motor and 3 on this one.But now that i think about it I dont recall having this problem on other engine.So could this be my timings a little off on the rebuilt engine or does it sound like a carb problem?
thanks

acidburn
05-02-2011, 08:13 AM
sounds like a carb issue, your problem is going with those chinese knockoffs. chances are there is a air leak or your jetting is wrong

Tippmann98
05-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Your timing could be off by a tooth. I know on my dirtbike it will run with the timing off 1 tooth but it will spit and sputter and not run real good.

Dirtcrasher
05-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Timing is easy to check, just double check it. If you followed the book and checked it after the tensioner was tightened, you should be good.

Those carbs never seem to have the right jets in them. You may want to look at the size jets that were working for you versus these unless you have added an exhaust or opened the air box during this rebuild......

redskinman
05-02-2011, 10:24 AM
as far as timing goes,if its off by a tooth I dont think it will start.it cranks first kick.If you go by the book to check the timing it says use a timing light,Ive tried that and found it impossible to do with oil spitting out of the hole in your face.
As far as carb goes,this was same carb just switched engines,setup is exactly the same.didnt have sputtering issues with other engine.
I think I will try advancing or unadvancing timing and see if that helps.If it doesnt I will try another carb i have

EarlyBronocGuy
05-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Sounds like you're running just a tad lean (not enough gas) and when the motor is really under a load, there's not quite enough fuel to feed it. You probably didn't notice the problem before the rebuild due to the compression being low from worn out piston rings or valves not sealing perfectly, and now that the mechanicals are working correctly the carb can't flow quite enough gas to feed it.

Clean the carb completely, remove the jets and make sure they are partially clogged, even check the fuel valve on the tank and the line from it to the carb. Put a new, properly gapped spark plug in and check the resistance of the plug wire. Clean or replace the air filter, too. If everything is prefectly clean and you still have the problem, go up one size on the main jet.

Xpress
05-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I think your timing is fine, it's the jetting in the carb. I'd think you need to go up in jet size.. A buddy had this problem with one of his 200's, and he needed to go up a bunch of jet sizes.

redskinman
05-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Sounds like you're running just a tad lean (not enough gas) and when the motor is really under a load, there's not quite enough fuel to feed it. You probably didn't notice the problem before the rebuild due to the compression being low from worn out piston rings or valves not sealing perfectly, and now that the mechanicals are working correctly the carb can't flow quite enough gas to feed it.

Clean the carb completely, remove the jets and make sure they are partially clogged, even check the fuel valve on the tank and the line from it to the carb. Put a new, properly gapped spark plug in and check the resistance of the plug wire. Clean or replace the air filter, too. If everything is prefectly clean and you still have the problem, go up one size on the main jet.

that looks like sound advice and makes sense,Ill try that
thanks

dc8fixer
05-02-2011, 04:29 PM
If its missing, i would contact your local law enforcement. Lol just kidding. Try a different carb to see if it still does it.

redskinman
05-04-2011, 01:11 PM
My chain tensioners broke so I haven't done a real thorough test but I think problem is solved,we shall see
I had bought a twist throttle off eBay that came with the carb.Well I took it apart and cleaned it and switched it out with the Chinese carb.I've just taken up n down my street a couple times.Real test will come when I get my chain tensioner in and take it out riding somewhere