PDA

View Full Version : 200x Throttle stuck open!

Levithan
10-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, i have a bit of a problem. I finally took out my 200x after me and my friend got it working, and it was working great. My friend popped a bunch of wheelies really easy, and i rode it up to my house. The fenders werent on, and the gas tank wasnt bolted on, so i stopped it next to my garage so i could finish putting everything on. I bolted the tank on, and put on my fenders, and when i went to start it, it scared the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro outa me! As soon as i started it, it was revving so high that i thought it was gonna explode or something. I thought it was the carb, so my friend took it out, and we took it apart, and blew out the jets with an air compressor. We also put some gas in there and sloshed it around to make sure it was clean. We put it back on, and fired it up, and it was still idling high, but not as high as before. We tried unscrewing the idle screw all the way, and it still ran high. Whats wrong with this thing? It wont start at all unlesss the choke is down, so whats the deal? Do i have a bad carb? Any input helps, thanks again!

ejc042
10-20-2003, 05:04 PM
If it was running fine before you bolted the tank down and put the fenders on I would think you pinched something to cause this. Did you check the throotle cable to make sure it was not pinched, etc.

Lorrel33
10-20-2003, 06:03 PM
I had that problem on my 185S, the screw on the carb cap loosened up on me where the throttle cable attached to the cap. Dunno if that's what your problem is. Also when the intake boot had a crack in it idled high.

Howdy
10-20-2003, 06:11 PM
I am with ejc042 here. Check your cable for a pinch point.

Another thing is did you remove the top cap and slide in the carb? If you did did you get it back in correctly? I have seen many carbs where the slide was turned a 1/2 turn when re-installed. This willl keep it from closing properly and reving high. Just a thought.
Howdy

mudduck14843
10-20-2003, 07:41 PM
my guess is that when you put the little piston (atached to the throttle cable)
you put it in 180 degrees off there are 2 slots in it one is for the idle screw and the other is like a guide that keeps it aligned one is much wider than the other.
i have seen this quite a few times...

Levithan
10-21-2003, 01:46 AM
My friend and i moved the cable so it was entirely free of the gas tank, and it didnt seem to make a difference. Does it have anything with it not working when the choke is up? I thought that it was odd that it wouldnt run with the choke up at all, in fact it wouldnt even start if it wasnt in the down position. How do i make sure that the slider is lined up correctly? Thanks again!

speed20
10-21-2003, 07:07 AM
pull the top cap off the carburetor, take the slide out....one side will be flat and the other will have a cutout, or will look kind of like a "keyway"....THAT side goes towards the airbox... you will also notice a little cutout on the right side of the slide (if you have it right) that slides down by the idle screw....sorry i didnt know how to explain the carb slide (cutout thing) :oops: ITS THE ONE THATS NOT FLAT!!!haha good luck

mudduck14843
10-21-2003, 01:53 PM
on my 200x if the choke is up it will sputter once or twice...
when it is in the middle it will run ok until it starts to warm up then it gets rough.
even in the coldest weather you should only have to kick it over in the up possition once then move it to the middle untill it starts running rough then push the choke all the way down...
at least that is what i doif i even use the choke(most times it isn't needed )

timex69
10-22-2003, 09:02 PM
that reminds me of the time i was going on my 1988 KDX 80 dirt bike i clicked it into 6th gear cuz thier was a 3 mile straight strecch and all of a sudden the bike just sticks wide open powerband kicks in and im coming up fast on a slow moving tractor and a line of vehicles coming the other way...i grabbed the spack plug cap and took it off because the kill switch didnt work..it was a close call iwas within 300 yards of the traffic

TrikeKid
10-22-2003, 09:25 PM
My friend blew his 89 RM 80 up that way because his carb was sticking

Levithan
10-23-2003, 10:37 AM
EEP! :shock: I hope that dosnt happen to me, i think im gonna have to get a working kill switch then. I havent fixed it yet, i think im just gonna have my uncle look at it, cuz im pretty stumped so far. It kinda makes me wonder if my carb is kinda bad or something. I still dont get why it wont start with the choke. Well, thanks again.