PDA

View Full Version : DG silencer homade turn down

wisconsinite
05-01-2011, 02:02 PM
here's som pics of the crude but hopefully effective turndown i made for my tri z's dg silencer. the idea being that it will direct the sound down at the ground rather than directly out to annoy people near trails. (also to direct it away from those pesky dnr decible meters)

it's just 1" copper pipe with a 45 elbow, soldered together and then into a spare mufler cap. 1st go around the solder wouldn't stick to the chrome, so i sandblasted it, then it stuck fine. i will prolly have to trim the baffle a bit where it slides into the cap.

now it's got a fresh coat of black paint(not sure how that's gonna stick to hot copper) and i'm waiting impatiently for it to dry so i can try it out. which means, of course, i will bolt it on when the paint's all sticky and mess it all up.:lol:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9439/turndown.jpg

http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/4273/turndown2.jpg

YooperJosh
05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
i just made a turn down for my 200x ill have pics tomm. so quiet now but still plenty zippy.

wisconsinite
05-01-2011, 09:39 PM
got it put on,sticky paint of course. doesn't really seem much quieter, at least from on the machine, but maybe will help with the dreaded meter if i get stopped.

pantera1975
05-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Did I freak you outwith my story the other day? The time I got stopped we were 20 minutes from the truck on the way bay and the warden gave me a pass so I wouldn't get another ticket but IDK if you got stopped early if they will let you ride the rest of the day. I think I'm gonna try a Cascade Innovations big bore silencer pictured on the machine the other pics are my esr muffler I had made 3 inches longer and I added the super trapp disks on it. Its still loud but not so poppie sounding like being all open plus it us forestry approved spark arrestor too.

wisconsinite
05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
lol no not freaked out, been meaning to try it for a while. not just because of dnr either, i don't want to be the guy making a ton of noise ticking people off, that gets trails closed.
honestly, most of the 450 thumpers i hear out on the trails are way louder than my 2 stroke. iv'e had a few ahead or behind me so loud i couldn't hear my machine over theirs.

wisconsinite
05-07-2011, 06:52 PM
update. turndown seemed solid enough. but a mile or so down the trail today, there it was; gone. back to the drawing board :(