PDA

View Full Version : tecate engine

ovhonda1
04-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Hey guys. I am wanting to have my 86 engine rebuilt. I would like to have the bottom end and top end fresh. I do not have the time or all of the know how to do this so I am looking for a kawasaki guy with experience on these and see what we can work out. I know many people are having hard times right now, so this may help someone out as well as get my 86 in top shape. Anybody out there, let me know and maybe we can work something out. Thanks in advance-OV

fabiodriven
04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
I would suggest Dircrasher. I can not say for sure if he has the time or would even be interested in taking it on, but he has the skill and the know how.

christph
04-29-2011, 03:56 PM
I've rebuilt my 86 and 87 Tecate engines but am not really looking to turn it into a profession. I just came across a complete gasket and seal set you might be interested in--it looks good. It's made by Moose and you can get them from Dennis Kirk for around $60. It doesn't include the crank bearings but its a lot cheaper than buying them individually from Kawasaki.

ovhonda1
04-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info on the gasket set. I will pick it up for future use.

hang&rattle
04-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Klemm research was one of the kings of Tecate builds in the 80's (compliments of dcreel). Read this thread and click on the links. These will be some of the hottest motors once again produced:http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?discussionid=495&do=discuss

3Razors
04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
If you want it done right spend the extra $10 or so and pick up OEM Kawasaki bearings/seals. There IS a difference in the long run.. Same goes for gaskets, why take a chance. How many hours do you estimate are on the motor now? Does it need to be rebuilt for any paticular reason? Any current damage or noticeable wear? Once the motor is taken apart, a professional can discuss the areas that need attention and your options.

ovhonda1
04-30-2011, 07:26 PM
The tranny is hard shifting and it seems to be a little weak on the compression. I will do a compression check to see tomorrow. Really I have the extra funds right now and I want to make it 100% again before I start the entire restoration. This is going to be the first step. And thanks for the advice, I will probably go OEM.

christph
05-01-2011, 05:00 PM
If you are going to powdercoat the engine and are looking for that new look you might want to check out Rockymountain ATV/MC 6mm hex bolts. I rebuilt and powdercoated my engine a few years back but kept the old OEM bolts which lost their shine. Kawi wants an arm and leg for new ones and many are discountinued. Rockymountain carries OEM quality hex bolts in all the lengths you'll need, 25 mm, 40 mm, etc., at great prices. A bag of 25 is 3 bucks. I just redid my whole engine for 7 bucks and with the powdercoat it now looks new.