PDA

View Full Version : Omg!!!!! furk!!

YooperJosh
04-28-2011, 09:20 PM
i snapped my bottom exhaust bolt with an eighth of the bolt sticking out still. man i lubed and taped for a week! still didnt work... so.... let me have it!!! thoughts, opinions, bad jokes would be apreciated. i know the right way to do it wich is tap and drill it out but dang it... i dont wanna!!! gr thanks all for letting me vent a little.... 85 200x stock exhaust.

CRAZY70MAN
04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
join the club. Just snapped 2 of mine in my 350x. Save your money and time as well as your hair you will pull out and your liver which you will severely test with beer and have it drilled out and fixed right. P.S.....ez outs did not work for me.....good luck.....

1984 honda 200s
04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
LOL chitty deal! I picked up a 200e couple months back that had an exhaust bolt broken off. About 1/4 of the bolt stud was sticking out but visegrips wouldnt budge it. that sucker was stuck! Tap and drill worked wonders :)

coolpool
04-28-2011, 10:12 PM
I think dirtcrasher is the guy to fix this right. Might cost more with a DIY fix. I could be wrong too?

hillbilly 200x
04-28-2011, 10:18 PM
the old welding a washer then a nut to it trick doesn't work either :(. Just drill it out and tape it, use stainless bolt when you put it back together

YooperJosh
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
thanks guys. yeah im gonna do it right. just noticed its right behind the frame bar so i have to pull the head. i guess i would anyway but its just one more thing on the list. prob should do new seals valves etc while its in peices!!

gomer202
04-28-2011, 11:51 PM
broken bolts are so frustrating at times to get out i broke one going to the ho-lo-reverse when i was checking things and it snapped that wasnt a fun thing to deal with

jrsqlc
04-29-2011, 12:09 AM
thanks guys. yeah im gonna do it right. just noticed its right behind the frame bar so i have to pull the head. i guess i would anyway but its just one more thing on the list. prob should do new seals valves etc while its in peices!!

Thank you for DOING IT RIGHT!!! I believe it is a MUST to pull the head to correctly fix them. Also as hillbilly and DC have said, USE SS Studs

AtcFactoryRacer
04-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Just heat the broken bolt red hot with a torch and it should come right out with a set of vice grips. It will burn the paint on that portion of the frame but once it cools you can touch it up with a little black dollar store spray paint. And you wont have to do any careful drilling and tapping and no removal of the head.

Billyboy34
04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
It’s definitely worth bringing the head to a local machine shop to save you the time and frustration. I just had the same problem on my 250sx. The first one threaded out with no problems. I guess it’s just hit or miss sometimes.

atc350xer
04-29-2011, 10:45 AM
I did a redneck fix on a 90 once... I took a bolt of the same size and thread pitch, cut the head off of it, and welded it to the nub sticking out. Then I ground it to pretty it up a bit... it worked great.

TatTooL23
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
welding a nut to it works best. especially if there is some sticking out. as long as the heat setting r correct and u get enough penetration i have had great luck with it. so then the frame is still very hot and expanded, then u use a squirt bottle with water and spray just the bolt repeatedly until that cools so that contracts. they usually come right out.

hillbilly 200x
04-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Thats doesn't always work and if you get to much heat you can mealt the aluminum around the the bolt then most of the time the bolt will brake farther down. then you have to drill it any ways

atctim
04-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I know it is too late now but for future reference -run the motor until it is hot before trying to remove them.

hillbilly 200x
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
I know it is too late now but for future reference -run the motor until it is hot before trying to remove them Thats actually really smart

Dirtcrasher
04-29-2011, 04:16 PM
I've repaired 20 something 350X heads; Feel free to check my feedback and contact me if you want something done........

jrsqlc
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Just heat the broken bolt red hot with a torch and it should come right out with a set of vice grips. It will burn the paint on that portion of the frame but once it cools you can touch it up with a little black dollar store spray paint. And you wont have to do any careful drilling and tapping and no removal of the head.

i would NOT do this!! the head is aluminum and you are easier to break the head or do more damage than you started with. Take the head off and drill it out the CORRECT way