PDA

View Full Version : Chain keeps slipping off sprocket..serious help needed.

BigRedPudlJumpr
04-28-2011, 12:42 PM
i am currently having trouble keeping my chain on one of my atc's. its an 83 honda big red. i loosened the rear axle (4 bolts) and tightened the chain using the adjuster on the bottom left to get the slack out of the chain. once done with the proper slack (1/4 - 3/8) i tightened everything up about 25 -30 foot pounds. took it out for a short run went about 5 min riding through some mud and the chain fell off the sprocket causing it to wrap and jam around the drive gear. this has happened many times. between fixing and riding its now happening more and more. need help to fix this problem. since adjusting the rear axle is not working im planing on takeing a look at the transfer case and main drive gear. if you have had this happen before or have solved this problem in the past please respond. thanks 3 wheel fans.:wondering

dcreel
04-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Try replacing your chain and sprockets.. If they are hooked they are bad.

Billy Golightly
04-28-2011, 01:38 PM
replace the chain and sprockets, problem will go away.

BigRedPudlJumpr
04-28-2011, 01:48 PM
ill look into pricing. at the moment i can inspect the chain and sprocket. i know a used parts warehouse that carries parts for almost everything. last resort ill have to buy them through bikebandit.com

dcreel
04-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Chain and sprockets are a wear item. I wouldn't replace them with used items. Replace them with new. You will save money in the long run between your own labor and the damage to the case of your trike.

BigRedPudlJumpr
04-28-2011, 01:56 PM
good point.

acidburn
04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
83 big red is that a hardtail? cause i know my hardtail chain tensioner does not like to hit bumps @ high speed it causes the chain tensioner to become loose

atctim
04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
83 big red is that a hardtail? cause i know my hardtail chain tensioner does not like to hit bumps @ high speed it causes the chain tensioner to become loose

This is not normal - there is something wrong with your machine!

hoosierlogger
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I thought Big Reds had rear suspension?

edit I see no suspension on the 83 Big Red. OK I learned something today.

acidburn
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
This is not normal - there is something wrong with your machine!
its happened with 2 hardtails that i have owned mind u it only comes loose after hitting really bumpy trails in 5th gear doing 40mph for a good 2hrs, but now that i know its not normal wtf is happening

hoosierlogger
04-28-2011, 03:16 PM
its happened with 2 hardtails that i have owned mind u it only comes loose after hitting really bumpy trails in 5th gear doing 40mph for a good 2hrs, but now that i know its not normal wtf is happening

The real dirty mud is wearing your chain and sprockets faster than normal. Plus your adjuster might be slipping due to the bumpy fast riding abuse the trike is getting. How well do you think your girlfriend would hold up if you rode her that hard and fast?

acidburn
04-28-2011, 03:20 PM
The real dirty mud is wearing your chain and sprockets faster than normal. Plus your adjuster might be slipping due to the bumpy fast riding abuse the trike is getting. How well do you think your girlfriend would hold up if you rode her that hard and fast?

lol so then with my riding it is normal to slipthe adjuster thats good to know, my both sprockets are brand new

hoosierlogger
04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
lol so then with my riding it is normal to slipthe adjuster thats good to know, my both sprockets are brand new

If the nut is loose or missing I could see it moving, but if all is in place and tight I cant see how the axle would be moving.

atctim
04-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Are you tightening your tensioner down to factory spec'ed torque settings? Are things worn out? I have a plethora of hardtails - which get ridden in extreme conditions by extreme riders. Never had this problem before.

acidburn
04-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Are you tightening your tensioner down to factory spec'ed torque settings? Are things worn out? I have a plethora of hardtails - which get ridden in extreme conditions by extreme riders. Never had this problem before.

now that i think of it all my axel carrier nuts tighten perfect sept one has a stripped bolt so it doesnt get as tight as the rest. that is probly the culprit

corndawg
04-28-2011, 04:08 PM
how are the axle bearings?? i had a polaris scrambler that had a bad bearing carrier and when the axle would shift it would cause the chain to slip

1984 honda 200s
04-28-2011, 10:37 PM
wha ive never had this problem before. I ride my 200s in extream conditions too. My chain comes loose i tighted it up good to go. Ive only changed the front sproket since the teeth were hardly there. Thay were so skinny LOL. the back sproket is still good and straight never replaced it yet. Ive even lost 2 bolts from the rear end- forgot to tighten them up when i first got it hahah and still chain didnt fall off.
Your chain must be worn right out or something. From mudding all day i could see it becoming loose but that loose? ,id fix that bolt and try it again. If it does not help check for rear end play- breaings.
Or replace chain and sprokets OR your front sproket clip is missing causing the sproket to wobble in the front?

BigRedPudlJumpr
04-29-2011, 12:00 PM
after reading ever ones reply, both of my 83 big reds are hardtail. there are four bolts holding the axle in place. two are stationary and the bottom two can slide in guides (not much longer then 2 in slide). i loosened the bolts and tightened the tension nut bringing the slack out of the chain to the correct slack. tightened up the rear and took her for a spin. five minutes of bouncing down the trail and running though some mud cause the chain to fall off. and wrap and jam around the main drive. no reason for this. maybe bad sprocket or bad main drive gear, or chain. axle moving is not the reason still in same position as before. still stumped on this problem.

brd812
04-29-2011, 01:37 PM
I have a 85 ALT hardtail that many moons ago I bent the back sprocket, yeah I know I stupid and took the rear skid off...What can I say I was a teenager and it was 25+ plus years ago. If I didn't tighten it tight enough it would dump the chain until I replaced it. just a thought. i'd replace everthing, peace of mind and no cracked cases. good luck

hoosierlogger
04-29-2011, 04:23 PM
after reading ever ones reply, both of my 83 big reds are hardtail. there are four bolts holding the axle in place. two are stationary and the bottom two can slide in guides (not much longer then 2 in slide). i loosened the bolts and tightened the tension nut bringing the slack out of the chain to the correct slack. tightened up the rear and took her for a spin. five minutes of bouncing down the trail and running though some mud cause the chain to fall off. and wrap and jam around the main drive. no reason for this. maybe bad sprocket or bad main drive gear, or chain. axle moving is not the reason still in same position as before. still stumped on this problem.

Can you post a picture of your sprockets? That may help us out alot. Also some pics of the rear end might not hurt either.

atc007
04-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Whew!! You have loose axle bearings,,more than likely. Chain and sprockets need to be right,and ALL threads must be right. Then your chain will stay RIGHT where it belongs!

BigRedPudlJumpr
04-29-2011, 11:21 PM
pics should be up sunday evening.

as for the bearings, there good, no sloppyness or roughness. but im doin break housing and caliper fixing so the rear axle is coming off and goin through complete inspection.

BigRedPudlJumpr
05-02-2011, 12:00 PM
the tension bolt on the left side rear was bent along with the guide holding in position. reason for letting the chain slip off rear sprocket.