PDA

View Full Version : How do a 200x and 250sx compare?

redskinman
04-28-2011, 06:19 AM
I Have an 85 200x so i know how it runs.I wish it had a little more power and another gear.How do they compare to a 250sx as far as ride qaulity and power and speed? I know the 250sx are shaft drive and have reverse,thats all I know about them.
Thanks

jsmay
04-28-2011, 08:14 AM
i don't own a 250sx but i have ridden one and compared to my 200x, i didn't like it... the 200x feels nice and nimble(can't think of a better term). the sx felt heavy and boxy... don't know if that helps... the 200x is def. better for me. more of a sport bike in my mind. but the sx is a nice machine... reverse alone is a great feature. you could mod the 200x... especially if you already have one.

acidburn
04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
IMO 200x is more sporty where the 250sx is a trails trike

Chazz of Blades
04-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I regard the 250sx as the most versatile of all trikes, as it basically has all the working ability of a 250es(with racks added of course), looks sporty, and be still be treated as a sporty trike, even thoughs it's an auto clutch.

Having said that, the reasons stated make it a jack of all trades, it's not the best work trike, that'd be a pure 250es, and it's not the best sports trike.

The 200x on the other hand wasnt made to be anything BUT a sports trike, it was the entry level racer, but still a race trike none the less, it didn't suffer the drawbacks of versatility, and it very agile offroad.

sx250heath
04-28-2011, 09:26 AM
I sold my SX when i got my 200X. The found the SX too slow and heavy when compared to the 200X just wait until you get your 250R up and running.That has more power and is faster then your 200x

redskinman
04-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I sold my SX when i got my 200X. The found the SX too slow and heavy when compared to the 200X just wait until you get your 250R up and running.That has more power and is faster then your 200x

Yeah I know the 250r will scream but I'm starting to think about parting it out or selling it.Tore down top end last nite,fool was running it with no gasket.Its going to need a piston and bore and I'm not sure if I feel like messing with it
I'm considering my options

AtcFactoryRacer
04-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Please dont part out the 250r, if you dont feel like messing with it sell it as a whole to someone who will fix it and enjoy it. Think of it like this if you needed a heart transplant wouldnt you want the doctors to fix you so you could live? If people keep parting out 3 wheelers there will be none left for our children to ride when they are our age! Keep 3 wheelers ALIVE!!!

redskinman
04-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Please dont part out the 250r, if you dont feel like messing with it sell it as a whole to someone who will fix it and enjoy it. Think of it like this if you needed a heart transplant wouldnt you want the doctors to fix you so you could live? If people keep parting out 3 wheelers there will be none left for our children to ride when they are our age! Keep 3 wheelers ALIVE!!!

thats true,but if it werent for people parting them out we wouldnt be able to keep the ones we got running!

sx250heath
04-29-2011, 10:15 AM
That a touchy subject for lots of guys on here. I have gotten some great very hard to find parts for my trike.

atc350xer
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
My sx was great, but it felt tippy to me, compared to my Big Red. No single trike can do everything you want, that's why you need one of each model! lol

tri again
04-29-2011, 02:22 PM
X2 W/ ATC350

200x is smaller, nimble and tosses around nicely.
For me, it's like a zippy dirtbike that doesn't need a kickstand.
can fit 3 of them in the truck, no trailer needed.
Hand clutch is fun but less convenient when hauling logs, dragging brush,
and spike tooth harrow etc etc.

the sx is heavier but way faster than I need to go.
2 fit in the truck and tippier than the b-reds.
So I have to remember which trike I'm on.
They do roll nicely when not paying attention. They definitely have
an ejection seat for pilot errors. so Yes, they are on the sporty side and need to be ridden
as opposed to driven.

One BR fits in the truck but can also Pull the truck.

Actually, my 90 pulled my F250 across the gravel driveway.

So I say one of each too. At least.

With all this weather sucking across the country,
We're seeing easily fixable trikes in the 100-300$ range.
That will surely change if the weather ever breaks.

steve gog
09-09-2011, 04:48 PM
131372131373I have an 85 250sx and I'm rebuilding it and making it look more sporty with a 200x front end with 350x headlight and the back wheels spaced out more and itp tires, it'll look real good when its done. Also with a cobra exhaust. In my opinion the 250sx with mods can be a better bike than the 200x.

dcreel
09-09-2011, 05:29 PM
I've owned both an 85 250sx and an 83 200x. I agree with what's been said about the differences.

One of the larger issues is with 250sx and the inability to change gearing to run smaller diameter rear tires for the ability to slide better. 1st gear on the 250sx is pretty much useless for anything but tugwork anyways. It has been a long time since I owned it so I may be wrong about 1st gear being low low..

That said you can beat on a 250sx pretty good at Glamis.. lol

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/Riding%20pics/jimmy.jpg

dougspcs
09-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I have owned and riden both of these..(still do the 250sx)

For me given the choice..own a 250SX or a 200X.

Since I'm not a track racer or a jumper..250sx all the way!!

More versatile and most of the unattractive characteristics about the machine, like tippiness, can be adjusted out of it with different tire choices or spacers..

Husky250
09-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah I know the 250r will scream but I'm starting to think about parting it out or selling it.Tore down top end last nite,fool was running it with no gasket.Its going to need a piston and bore and I'm not sure if I feel like messing with it
I'm considering my options

I have to agree that a simple top end (especially on a 2 stroke) is fairly easy to fix and wouldn't warrant parting out the whole trike....

Headsup
09-09-2011, 10:11 PM
I love my SX, i wouldnt trade it for anything, Well An R... Looks like hell, But It rips what i want up.. Hard to do a wheelie, Their just so damn heavy... Everything is compact also, Hard to get in to get Carb or parts off..
I love my SX Also i must say, Maybe it not built for it, But after i replaced my swingarm bearings, I had to test them out. I was hitting massive jumps. Catching about 5 foot of air, flying maybe 7 to 10 feet.,
Still runs great i hit jumps all day everyday, Also i pull logs or whatever else i want to use it for, Great all around trike in witch u wont get with the 200.. I mean unless u want something that Looks like a racer.. I would Race any1 in my town with conifdence..
Not much u need to do to them either, Change oil, Gear oil. And Walla Have blast..
Just one thing is mud getting in my rear wheel hub and looking my brakes,. I must spray it out with pressure..

My thoughts, i would go with the sx

tri again
09-10-2011, 04:18 AM
I regard the 250sx as the most versatile of all trikes, as it basically has all the working ability of a 250es(with racks added of course), looks sporty, and be still be treated as a sporty trike, even thoughs it's an auto clutch.

Having said that, the reasons stated make it a jack of all trades, it's not the best work trike, that'd be a pure 250es, and it's not the best sports trike.

The 200x on the other hand wasnt made to be anything BUT a sports trike, it was the entry level racer, but still a race trike none the less, it didn't suffer the drawbacks of versatility, and it very agile offroad.

Eloquent chazz!

Couldn't have said it better myself.