PDA

View Full Version : 350x cam swap ??

camoweasel
04-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Later this week or next, I will being installing a Webcam grind 213 along with the rockers and springs.

1. Is it possible to remove the rocker cover and cylinder head with the engine still in the frame?

2. Can you remove the springs without a spring compressor tool? If possible, any tricks??

3. Any difficulty removing the rockers??

I've been reading and studying the manual, but sometimes the best mechanics know ways to do things much easier.

Dirtcrasher
04-27-2011, 09:35 PM
1) yes but it is not easy, sometimes you pull the motor mounting bolts.

2) yes, use a socket the size of the top piece holding the retainer. Place a shop rag under the head and smack the socket quick, one or both retainers will fall out; Getting them back in is another story..........

3) ignore the slotted end on the rocker shaft, it is not threaded. There are 2 appx. 6mm long pins (something like that) that have to pull out of the head, then you can twist the shaft back and forth, WD 40 them and pull them out. Some are very stubborn. You will break the head casting if not careful. The manual shows how to grind and remove those pins also.

NOS_350X
04-27-2011, 11:23 PM
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TAKING THE HEAD OFF IN THE BIKE. It is possible, but you must remove all the mounting bolts, and drop the enigne down, then even at that it is EXTREMELY tight.
The rocker cover comes off easy in the frame, head not so much.

Dirtcrasher
04-27-2011, 11:40 PM
^ I hear ya, but once guys remove the mounting bolts and drop it down, most still seem hesitant to unplug it and lift it out of the frame although everything is removed.......

jrsqlc
04-28-2011, 11:25 AM
1) yes but it is not easy, sometimes you pull the motor mounting bolts.

2) yes, use a socket the size of the top piece holding the retainer. Place a shop rag under the head and smack the socket quick, one or both retainers will fall out; Getting them back in is another story..........

3) ignore the slotted end on the rocker shaft, it is not threaded. There are 2 appx. 6mm long pins (something like that) that have to pull out of the head, then you can twist the shaft back and forth, WD 40 them and pull them out. Some are very stubborn. You will break the head casting if not careful. The manual shows how to grind and remove those pins also.

Great Info from the DC!!!

If your going to pull the head, i would pull the engine out of the trike! Much easier and saves ya from gaining an attitude while working in such a tight spot for NO reason!!

camoweasel
04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up!! I can't wait to get this cam installed.