PDA

View Full Version : LT 230 suzuki frame with 200s engine?

1984 honda 200s
04-26-2011, 10:32 PM
hey all! ,I was wondering, i found a lt230 suzuki quad sport for cheap. Engine is finished.

But i do have 5 atc 200 engines in the shed. i was thinking a 200s engine since its small much like the lt230. Would it bolt right in or would heavy modifications be nessisary?

Or i could part my parts 225dx engine and use the piston after honeing the 230 cylinder...

AtcFactoryRacer
04-27-2011, 12:12 AM
It will have to modified but it is definitly do-able. A good buddy of mine who is a 60 years old retired motorcycle mechanic, a local legend, back in the day used to put 86-87 200x engines in 230 quadsport chassis because the engines wore out, he swore by these machines as being the perfect balance of power and handling. I remember him having to do nothing more that cut the old engine mounts off and fabricate new ones, swap the wiring harnesses, fabricate brackets to hang the stock 200x exhaust, and slightly modify the 230 airbox. I know the 86-87 200x engines mount slightly different than the 83-85 200s,x,m style engines but the idea is the same. If you only have the 200s engine you will definitly need the carburetor, exhaust, and wiring to do the swap. I bet it would be an awesome easy to ride machine with good handling ( would be perfect for your wife or girlfriend to ride).

The reason the 230 quadsport engines wore out is because they came with non rebuildable heads. The cam doesnt have bearings and layed in a machined journal in the head. When you never regularly change your oil, adjust the valves, adjust the timing chain, the cam will wear the journal out of spec and trash the head, causing improper valve timing which can make the valves slap the piston and metal debrise to fall in the cylinder and wear out the bore. Replacement heads are ridiculously expensive and finding a good used head is rare. The high cost of rebuild was the reason my buddy would just swap in an 86-87 200x engine because they were more modern, had more power and were 100% rebuildable. all motorcycle manufactors were guilty of building engines this way at that time, infact your 200s engine doesnt have bearings in the cam. So if you do the swap make sure you adjust the valves before you start it and check the slack in your timing chain. And change the oil!

250Eddie
04-27-2011, 01:05 AM
theres a guy down here in miami thats trying to sell the same bike with the same swap and it looks stock no heavy mods.

hillbilly 200x
04-27-2011, 07:16 AM
I see guys around here doing that swap all the time. I put an lt 160 engine into the tl 230 a few year back, man it was a fast little bike didnt have alot of top end torque but it have lots of boddem end. You can also mod the 200 engine to get more power out of it, hight compression pistion, cam, pipe bigger carb, exhaust, an open the air box.

acidburn
04-27-2011, 07:33 AM
my friend plans on putting a 200x engine into a lt250

1984 honda 200s
04-28-2011, 12:03 AM
well this is all guureat news ! My 200s is in a 200s frame right now but i dont have the papers for the bike- ever since i bought it from my neighbour MORE AND MORE police have been up at my end so ive been trail hopping/field hopping to avoid them LOL .This lt230 has papers but blown engine. My 200s is complete and running so i thought this conversion would be alrite. Also have 4 other 200 /m/s/e engines in the shed along with a 225DX.

MonroeMike
04-28-2011, 12:33 AM
theres a guy down here in miami thats trying to sell the same bike with the same swap and it looks stock no heavy mods.

From the ad.