PDA

View Full Version : 84 Big red 200 , idiling extremely high

88capewrangler
04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
hey guys , just got the bike out , put a new spark plug in and she started right up... but now its almost like the throttle is stuck on full blast... the idle screw is all the way out and the slider on the top of the carb is seated right, i cant figure out why this is happening... any ideas ?

booblinker
04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
You sure the carb slide isn't 180* off?, look in back of carb and make sure slide is all the way down. Leaning out could cause hight idle, but not like full throttle idle.

Nubbinz
04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
It wouldn't hurt to check the throttle cable , if turning the handle bars makes the idle change the cable could have something wrong with it. You might want to try adjusting the fuel mix on the carb so there is more fuel in it, I recently fixed a chainsaw that stayed revved up because it was starved for fuel. The only other thing i could think of is make sure your plug is gapped and tightened properly, once someone worked on my trike and it was staying revved up higher then it should, and i noticed the plug was on finger tight , i gave it a half turn and it idled fine.

Chazz of Blades
04-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Check for a lean condition, easy way is to have the bike running, and spray carb cleaner all over the intake boot, if it speeds up, you have an air leak. The o-ring on the boot can get brittle and cause air to seep in. Easy fix if thats your problem.

88capewrangler
04-26-2011, 10:37 PM
thanks for the advice , il try tmr some more... i know that the spark plug was loose but will be surprised if it solves the problem

gobigorgohomw
04-27-2011, 12:35 AM
throttle cable has a screw in it, it lockes when somethign goes wrong, take the gray cap off of your throttle, in the carb. and see if anything is stopping it from going all the way down, if so, time for a new one.