PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake on 70?

Brockey
04-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Well my son Zander loves to ride his Honda 70. Right now we still keep it in 1st gear with the throttle limited for him but he is soon gonna want and deserve to have it stepped up a bit.
Now the problem is the brakes. On both of our 70's, the brakes are too hard for him to squeeze and make them stop, or even slow down for that matter. So my question is; has anyone adapted a disc brake setup for the rear of a non suspended 70? Also If it means anything she is a 1985 70.
Is anyone out there capable of making the setup needed? Or has anyone out there done this and would like to shed some light on the subject? Kasey? Lol.

Vealmonkey
04-25-2011, 10:08 PM
It's not hard on a stock 70. People are taking the 200x rear disc hubs. You have to machine down the drum on a 70, then you have to machine the inside of the 200x disc hub to fit over what you machined on the 70 drum, then weld the 2 together. Also you use the 200x caliper and you have to make a piece to attach the 200x caliper to as well as having the proper spacing to center over the 200x disc, so imagine a block that has the threaded holes for the bolts to hold the caliper to the block and the block gets welded to the frame. Master cylinder reservoir you have to fudge, and I've seen brackets made for the master cylinder that attaches to the rear of the clutch cover using the existing cover bolt holes, but longer bolts to hold it all together. Then you get get the braided lines in different lengths and the hose ends to attach the master cylinder to the brake caliper and pretty much is it. Then you have to rig up a rear brake step lever and you are in. Now get some front suspenion on there and get the young man a front brake as well.

honda4h
04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
i had the same issue with a girls atc 70. 1985 i put a new cable took the pin out of the brake drum the one that the arm bolts to cleaned it and greased it up and put grease on the pivot points on the shoes. i found it helped and she stopped better. my girls love the 70 atc. i have seen a disk set up on line google it you will find info

KASEY
04-25-2011, 10:44 PM
i agree with honda4h... a new cable and a good service on the brakes will do wonders... you can always space the lever closer to the bars for little hands,,,, discs are a pain to get all together,, the other option would be a foot brake,, they are pretty simpler ,,,,,,,

Dirtcrasher
04-26-2011, 12:11 AM
My next build is my stretched and suspended 70 with a rear disc. I already fixed a disc to an 82R disc hub; caliper is mounted.

I started a thread on it awhile back but it went on the back burner. The frame and swinger are done, I'll post up some pics in Mad Scientists when I start assembling it.......

KASEY
04-26-2011, 01:57 AM
when doing a custom swinger discs are pretty easy i have done a few of them ... even front brakes on a stocker

http://i41.tinypic.com/2l8ehw.jpg

KASEY
04-26-2011, 02:03 AM
HERE IS A REAR BRAKE SETUP ,, this is a suspended 70 i built a while ago...

http://i14.tinypic.com/4l71wl3.jpg

Brockey
04-26-2011, 08:07 AM
My son has dexiterty problems in his hands. I believe the spelling is off but thats why the cable setup is no goog. Thxs for the info folks.

blue27
04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
For a rear disc you need to use a 85/86 250R hub or 350X, 250X/300ex rear disc. (the 250r is a smaller dia. then the rest) I have some pics of one someone did on Glamis I will try and find them.

86trizinger
04-26-2011, 02:12 PM
You could also just do a foot brake like the 90's have. Its not a disc brake but should be pretty cheap and easy to do and help solve his problem.

Brockey
04-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Thxs folks. Blue27, ya post them up if you can find them. Thxs for all the responses guys. Nice trick rides Kasey. And DC I'll be watching for the buildup.
86trizinger, I thought about a foot padel, but to be honest I would rather have it on the handlebars so he don't stick his foot on the ground. Been there and done that. Might be ok when he gets a little older.

Anyone wanna build me a bolt on kit? My custom work isn't something to show off. Lol

blue27
04-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Here are the pics and a pic of mine with the 250x rotor

Brockey
04-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Thxs Blue. That actually looks pretty simple on the stock frame. Nice setup on yours too. Would love to have a suspended 70, but they are hard to find and worth more than I wanna spend.