PDA

View Full Version : bad news on 250r

markdb420
10-20-2003, 12:02 AM
I just found out that while I was gone my brother in law went to start the 250r and it seized. Well, I removed the cylinder and head and the piston had shattered at the bottom, and pieces are everywhere and pieces are into the bottom end as the crank doesn't want to move all the time. I guess it'll be time for a complete rebuild and case splitting. Anyone have any secrets that I should know about? This will be my first experience doing this. Any help would be most appreciated.

I was told that I could take the cases off the 250r and rinse with kerosene, and shake upside down until the metal from the piston comes out. The crank feels nice and tight and there is no up and down play on the connecting rod bearings. What in the heck should I do?

Dirtcrasher
10-20-2003, 09:15 AM
I recently had something similar - The ring locating pin in the piston fell out somehow? But no damge to the engine and the pin was nowhere to be found. I tore the engine out and flipped it upside down rinsing it with oil/gas 50/50 mix. Cleaned it up and away I wne, never found the pin. In your case however, you lost alot of metal. I would tear it right down and yes "split the case" With a destruction like that you may have other things going on in there like a bad low end bearing so it's probably best to chk it out. Pay now or later. I just had mine down to the center cases and I feel the 250R is one of the simplest motors I've seen and ver well designed. Grab a manual, don't use a hammer on the crank/flywheel etc, and have nice clean work area with some patience. Good luck.

Jeb
10-20-2003, 09:36 AM
I'm about to tear into my 85 motor. I agree with dirtcrasher, the R motor seems very simple. The way I see it, while it's apart, every bearing needs replacing, crank rebuilt, and new topend. use factory parts while you still can. then take care of it and ride it for years to come.

And yes grab a factory service manual. They are excellent. I also have the factory manuals for the KXT and the Tri-Z and, as much as it pains me to say it, the Honda seems to be a step above. Dont know if you'll get as lucky as me, I got one off ebay brand new in the wrapper for 9 bux!! :shock: :-D , but non-the-less, get one!