PDA

View Full Version : 83 Big Red 200e spark problems

daddy j
04-24-2011, 08:45 PM
i have had several issues with my big red not cranking since i got it, but i took the battery off and after that it started every time i wanted it to for weeks. now, after it has been running everyday for a while, i park it and go out to ride the next day and it won't start. check for spark from the coil, nothing. i have checked everything i know to check; cdi good, spark plug good, coil good, pulse generator good....WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH IT

oscarmayer
04-25-2011, 09:04 AM
are you using the push button or pull start?

daddy j
04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
pull start

oscarmayer
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
ok, you coudl have a problem with the wiring, the maine fuse could be bad, could have a bad plug coil. (the wire that comes from the coil to the plug can get corruded. pull the plug boot off (unscrews) and if rust, cut about 1/4-1/2" off and reinstall. do the same for the coil side. see if that helps. if not could be coil itself. also coudl be bad plug.

some simple things to try.

daddy j
04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
i had another coil wire to try and neither of them worked. a few weeks ago i trimmed the coil down some also. i can't seem to find any wiring that is messed up, but i also don't have a meter.
where exactly is the main fuse? i tried to pull up a manual online but it wouldn't load

JustEnough
04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
You cannot do much electrical troubleshooting without a multimeter. It looks like you have tried swapping known good parts. Try wirebrushing the electrical connectors starting with the brass tab connector on the coil.

acidburn
04-25-2011, 11:42 AM
this probly isnt your problem but did trailprotrailpro bike backfire when u parked it? i parked my old trike and it had a big backfire that cause the timing to jump

oscarmayer
04-25-2011, 12:46 PM
pull the CDI cover, and check to make sure everythign is solid and in good shape there. if the springs on the spark advance are bad, it will have issues even starting. also make sure the puckip is not damaged. check all connectors. (clean them) and even the power/kill switch can be bad or corruded causing it not to spark. so take it appart and clean it. in my sig is a link manuals site and there's a article on cleaning that stuff. (not sure it I out it up. if not I will have it up in the next 2 days).

daddy j
04-26-2011, 12:06 PM
the thing that spins on the inside of the pulse generator ring (i'm not sure what it's called) is loose. meaning that you can twist it just a little bit back and forth without much effort. pulse generator doesn't have shavings or anything wrong with it. HOW DO YOU TAKE THAT PART OFF??? and if that sets the timing off, wouldn't you stilll get at least a little bit of spark?
it DID backfire a few days ago, but that was at least a week before i parked it so i don't know if tht helps.
thank you all for the help!!!