PDA

View Full Version : honda 200s + 12:1

Craka
11-16-2002, 09:10 PM
I have a honda 200s engine i got someone to rebuild well i got a 12:1 compresion piston off ebay so it has alot of weeeeeee power. Cept something sad hapend. I think where the head meets the cylinder is leaking. When i start it up i can see some smoke come out on the right side of the motor on top of the cylinder. Also theres lots of oil around it. I can put my hand next to the motor and feal air coming out that spot. Other than a little oil leaking out there will it hurt anything if i ride it like this? It seems to have the same amount of power its always had. I dont want to mess anything up becouse i just got a new rebuilt head for this thing. Ive been told to retorque the head from 3w.org. So im going to try that.

Also was there supose to be some sort of special gasket set since its 12:1 instead of stock. The gaskets that we put in were brand new so i dont know why its leaking. Let me know any tricks and suggestions becouse i really dont want to have to take the head off. If i do that means taking it off the frame and having to retime it. there isnt any thing i can put around where it leaks like jb weld. The air coming out isnt that strong.

Mobular
11-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Head and base gaskets are always installed dry. That means no sealers or goo at all. Did you happen to check the cylinder and head surfaces for flatness before reinstalling? They may need to be milled flat for a proper sealing surface. I suggest pulling it apart, check the mating surfaces, and reassemble with new gaskets.

Kilborg
11-17-2002, 02:41 AM
Yup. Your going to need to yank the engine once again, and get cracking on tearing it down. Your going to want a straight edge and feeler gauge to check for any warpage. Also, 12:1 in a 200s? A little overkill indeed, but hopefully it holds together long enough to run for you awile.

GlennMc
11-18-2002, 02:22 PM
Craka;
Do yourself a favour and stop running that machine. The extra compression has probably caused the head gasket to fail. If you run it while it is leaking, the hot gasses running over the aluminum surfaces will quickly erode the surfaces and create a groove on both the head and cylinder. I have welded a lot of aluminum automotive cylinder heads in the past that were run for a short time with a blown head gasket. You may want to find a out if a high performance head gasket is available from Powroll or another company that specializes in high compression engines. The stock one probably is not up to the challenge. The stock cylinder studs may also stretch too easily with the extra load on them. I would do a bit of research before deciding what to do. Good Luck, GlennMc.