PDA

View Full Version : Which ATC??

elitespecialkid
04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm relativly new to three wheelers in general, i've worked on my friends 85 125cc atc before and ridden a 86 250r atc. My question was would you reccomend an 85-86 350x or an 85-86 250r? I'd really like to get a liquid cooled machine, and preferably honda. I've got an 85 honda odyssey fl350, and are just accustom to honda. Thanks again guys and hope you guys can help me decide :lol:

1984 honda 200s
04-18-2011, 11:23 PM
why not get one of both?

C Kerley
04-18-2011, 11:31 PM
I really like the 4 strokes, but that's my experience also. I have a 350X at the powder-coater now and what little time I rode it before tearing it down, those are pretty awesome machines. And I'd really like to see a picture of that Odyssey, especially if it's one of those yellow ones!

elitespecialkid
04-18-2011, 11:38 PM
I'd love to get both don't get me wrong, but being 15 will keep from getting both... for now =D
And i've got a fl350 odyssey, here is link to the thread on one of the odyssey boards, should have recent pictures of it on there. couldn't figure out how to post pictures, sorry still getting use to this board lol
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=8284

250Eddie
04-19-2011, 12:33 AM
it depends if u like 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

mrmello
04-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Also depends on what kind of riding you do.

In the woods tight trails, going over logs, stumps, water, mud. A 4 stroke with auto clutch would be the best

Speed, clear trails, sand etc the 250 R would be a blast.

Also what your preference is in engine. Me I like the 4 stroke auto clutch due to the terrain that I ride.

250Eddie
04-19-2011, 01:01 AM
I like the auto clutch due to the fact that i like my left arm and i rather it not feel like its gonna fall off after 2 full days of mud riding and clutching, the clutch bikes are very fun when u have big places to riding when u can pick up speed and riding thru open trails.

Xpress
04-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Well lets get one question out of the way first:

How comfortable are you with riding a three wheeler? Would not be the wisest decision to get one of the highest performing racers as your first, even though you say you have ridden one. How comfortable were you on the 250R?

Next is what will you primarily be doing? A 2 stroke likes to be ran wide open, and due to the lack of a lot of low end grunt, they aren't exactly great for climbing steeper trails unless you know how to work your throttle. I ride trails with my Tecate all the time, some parts I have to really crank on the throttle. A thumper is better suited for trails.

Last, what is your budget? 250R's go for anything from $50 to $3000 or more depending on the condition, so if you only have a small amount, you might want to be looking for a 200X, or maybe a 350X. 250R's and 350X's are big leaps over the modest power of a 200X.

RubberSalt
04-19-2011, 03:54 AM
200x is like a perfect balance between performance/fun. If you are riding the dunes, then the 250r or 350x is be great(250r better). I run my 200m and my klt200 at the dunes, they have no suspension in the rear and are HEAVY, 330lb+ each.

elitespecialkid
04-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Well lets get one question out of the way first:

How comfortable are you with riding a three wheeler? Would not be the wisest decision to get one of the highest performing racers as your first, even though you say you have ridden one. How comfortable were you on the 250R?

Next is what will you primarily be doing? A 2 stroke likes to be ran wide open, and due to the lack of a lot of low end grunt, they aren't exactly great for climbing steeper trails unless you know how to work your throttle. I ride trails with my Tecate all the time, some parts I have to really crank on the throttle. A thumper is better suited for trails.

Last, what is your budget? 250R's go for anything from $50 to $3000 or more depending on the condition, so if you only have a small amount, you might want to be looking for a 200X, or maybe a 350X. 250R's and 350X's are big leaps over the modest power of a 200X.

I felt extremely comfortable on the 250r, i zipping around my friends yard and just hauling arse on the thing. We actually took it up to the walden sand dunes where i rode the thing all over. I actually was drag racing one of the other riders who i was with, he was riding a 350 odyssey, and i messed up a shift so i fell behind and as my friend went over the hill, he turned left right in front of me, and i slammed the right side of the three wheeler on the front end of the odyssey. Guy said he saw me doing cartwheels through the air. I got away EXTREMELY lucky with only a blue toe nail and a swelled foot.

elitespecialkid
04-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Also i would probably do a pretty even mix of sand dunes and trail riding, maybe more trails. I've got more experince on the inside of a 2 stroke than a 4, and love two stroke, but like the reliablility of four stroke over two stroke. And as of right now, my budget is $0 lol. Hope to get a job this summer and start saving up for an atc. My main reason for getting a three wheeler is for something that is alot easier to take places than the odyssey, and as a back up machine for a long distance trip incase the odyssey decides to crap out on me, which it likes to do lol