PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda Big Red Electrical Problems

trappertom
04-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Recently bought 1984 honda 200es. Runs great for awhile then quits firing. Ran check on cdi,spark generator,coil etc.All checks out. The only thing I can find wrong is that without the battery connected (engine running) the indicator lights go out. Turn on headlight and they come back on? Put run switch in the off position and crank the engine the neutral light will glow. Cannot find short anywhere. And let it set ten minutes and it will start right back up. Any suggestions?

tri again
04-18-2011, 04:01 AM
yeah, I've had those problems with the 84 br's.

As I recall, one of mine wouldn't start with the starter ,
NO neutral light either.
I took the battery OUT to put in something else and pulled the rope
for the heck of it and the s.o.b. started and the neutral light glowed when I pulled the rope so I knew I was closer. It started on the 2nd or 3rd pull.

(after 2 months of fooling with it)

I'll have to think some more about what I did.
All I can tell you is that it started to work after I gave up on it (technically)

If it's a hot/cold issue, you can blow a hairdryer on various components one at a time when you KNOW it will start, and see if that kills it's chances of starting.

Compressed air will cool components too to confirm.

After going blind with the wire diagrams, I did suspect that the Kill switch has a ground (to kill it)
that also is a ground
it needs to make it run too for the cdi to work.

Turning on the headlight creates a greater amperage draw thru SOME connection somewhere that makes it behave
and connect.

Sure doesn't sound like a heat related problem at that point however.

I'll let you know if something else jumps out at me.

I do remember it was a real challenge and got me to start buying
250 models just for a new(er) set of problems.

Someone will surely chime in soon.
Your prob is not uncommon.

You'll get it.
We always do.

trikeman78
04-18-2011, 08:05 AM
I had problems like that on my 84 big red. sometimes it would run then just quit. Turns out the stator was week and sometimes it put out enough juice, and other times not enough. Expensive part. But its the heart of the ignition system. After i replaced it. She starts up fast and stays running strong.

mrmello
04-18-2011, 08:14 AM
My first thought was the stator as well. Its Fine when cool but as soon as it heats up it dies.

Not 100% but it was my first thought........