PDA

View Full Version : Need surious help. . .

Boostdprobe91
04-16-2011, 08:20 PM
I own a kawasaki klt 250 that isn't getting spark. (wiring is all rigged up, not sure whats what.) anyways is there any one who can tell me how to test the coil to see if its good?

jrsqlc
04-16-2011, 08:42 PM
try doing a search for the manual for the bike

Dirtcrasher
04-16-2011, 09:22 PM
A coil should have primary and secondary resistance (of some given amount) better specified in the manual.

Multimeter on OHMS............

All they basically are is a transformer.

MonroeMike
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the board.

Look here.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?126871-KLT200-250-Service-Data

RubberSalt
04-17-2011, 04:28 AM
Good news, the KLT200 and the KLT250 have the same electronics. I've got another thread with schematics posted up, and some other info.

The only real difference is the bore and stroke on the 250s, not much else.

For no spark, check your coil, they like to rust under the coils and the frame. Use a 10mm ratchet under the coil, a screw driver wont remove it from above.

Boostdprobe91
04-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Ok I will check all that when I get home from work. I do have a service manual for it but it doesn't tell much.

Boostdprobe91
04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
K so after numerous attempts to get spark i still have no spark. My conclusion is that i need a new coil. now my question is how much should i look to spend on getting a new coil and where would i be able to locate one.

deschlayer
04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
dude, dont just go by a coil when you have no spark. Is the coil your referring to the ignition coil? you MIGHT be right about needing it, but trust me from experiance when you spend money on thing and you bike still wont work...you are gonna get pissed off. This should help you......

1) take the plug boot off and stick the exposed end of the wire near some engine metal(try not to shock yourself)
If still no spark you need to find out why...... if there is a spark then you can try cliping the last 1/4 inch of the wire and putting the boot back on.

2) if you have a meter hook it up and check your ohms(that would be the wire coming from the pull start area) I am not going to look up what yours should be, but most of them are north of 100
if your ohms look right then check your gaping, to close no good to far no good. your staror will have a gap as will your pulsar(and check to make sure you have all the pulsar parts in there)

3) hook your run switch to be on by NOT crossing the wires

parts that make spark happen.......
1) stator/exciter(near flywheel)
2)pulsar(on 4-strokes it is on the top left or right side of the engine)
3)CDI (on the frame in line with the coil)
4) Ignition Coil (the one that the spark pulg wir comes out of.
5) GROUND they are all thoughout the system and they need to be good

as you can see if you were to replace all the parts blindly it could sart to get expensive, trust me there is nothing worse then spending 1-200 on stuff that you dont need and still have you bike not run

AtcFactoryRacer
04-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I thoroughly agree with everything deschlayer said above

Boostdprobe91
04-20-2011, 12:02 AM
got spark now. . . it was the kill switch... also got the push button starter to work. now its back firing threw the carb? anyone know what that could be?

deschlayer
04-20-2011, 11:56 AM
timing, pull the pulsar cover off and line it up, you will have a F and a T on the fly wheel at top dead center(you will feel it hard to pull, then the moment it gets easy turn the wheel back a little bit to find it) make sure it is lined up to fire when its at tdc(usally kinda in the middle of the marks). best way for me to find TDC is to use a straw and feel for it.

after you find tdc check your valves, they should both be closed at this point (and there should be a little play but not an ass ton) if the valves seem off then your chain is most likly off a few teath.

Boostdprobe91
04-20-2011, 01:01 PM
just so you know, I havn't messed with the carb at all and it's been sitting in a field for over 3 years since its last been ran and there was no air box on it all those years.
Also I'm trying to start it with starting fluid. . . So if that changes anything please let me know.

willreed03
04-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Yea that changes a lot :) get your manual out, pull the carb off, clean it thoroughly and if in doubt get a carb rebuild kit (20 to 25 bucks from your local stealerman) and an airfilter. Make sure the gas tank and petcock are clean and flow freely and you have fresh gas. Also as stated above make sure your timing is correct as that will cause backfiring as well.

Boostdprobe91
04-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Tonight I went to check for spark again because it stopped cranking over with the starter button again and then started to work again. So I checked for spark and its got purple spark.... Isn't it suposed to be blue spark or white spark? Just curious thanks for all the help so far on here.