PDA

View Full Version : 125m clutch removal

barbershop
04-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Fixing up an 85 125m. Popping out of gear when shifting/false neutral etc. Took the right side cover off. I can see that the "shift drum stopper" is broken at the 90 degree. Looks like this is an easy part to replace. Problem! The two screws that hold the clutch retainer on are frozen up. I can't get them to budge. Need to get under it to remove the lock washer and clutch bolt to get the clutch off then the big gear that the shift drum stopper hides behind. Any suggestions for removing the screws without damaging the clutch or the threads that the screws go into holding the retainer in place? Also good source for a shift drum stopper, side cover gasket, and obviously new screws for the clutch retainer.

Thanks!

shortline10
04-16-2011, 07:33 AM
The stopper is prob avalible from honda still .
Use an impact screw driver to remove the screws . You will also need the 4 prong socket to remove the clutch nut .
Here is the stopper at DRATV site .http://www.dratv.com/268n.html

Fixing up an 85 125m. Popping out of gear when shifting/false neutral etc. Took the right side cover off. I can see that the "shift drum stopper" is broken at the 90 degree. Looks like this is an easy part to replace. Problem! The two screws that hold the clutch retainer on are frozen up. I can't get them to budge. Need to get under it to remove the lock washer and clutch bolt to get the clutch off then the big gear that the shift drum stopper hides behind. Any suggestions for removing the screws without damaging the clutch or the threads that the screws go into holding the retainer in place? Also good source for a shift drum stopper, side cover gasket, and obviously new screws for the clutch retainer.

Thanks!

barbershop
04-16-2011, 07:49 AM
would you use an electric impact screw driver or a manual one that you whack with a hammer? I have a manual impact screw driver but worry about damaging the clutch if I give it a couple of whack with the hammer on the driver...

Chris Salerno
04-16-2011, 07:56 AM
also try this stuff called aerocoil its a lubricant oil that seeps threw the thread better than the leading WD-40 or pb blaster its a lil pricy but makes bolts come out nice and easy with out screwing anything up. a friend of mine brought it over to help me do an axle on my 89 s10 (its nick name is trusty rusty) by me its available at a truck parts store not sure about by you

P.S. this thread just helped me out alot i just picked up the same exact bike and its starting to do the same thing so thank you for diagnosing for me lol good luck with th project

Chris Salerno
04-16-2011, 07:58 AM
wouldnt an electric do just as much damage? i would say the manual is a lil better cuz atleast you can control the force it used to get it out

would you use an electric impact screw driver or a manual one that you whack with a hammer? I have a manual impact screw driver but worry about damaging the clutch if I give it a couple of whack with the hammer on the driver...

barbershop
04-16-2011, 08:06 AM
I'll try the manual driver and see if I can get them out. Also where can I get the 4 prong socket to remove the clutch bolt? Arm Chair Racer if yours is doing the same thing i'd take the side cover off and take a look. Mine was pretty obvious, the shift arm stopper was up to the top of the case, clearly broken off at the 90. I am assuming the previous owner took the part out of the case or it drained out at an oil change because I didn't see the broken part in the oil when I took the side cover off.

shortline10
04-16-2011, 09:22 AM
The clutch socket I believe is avalible from DRATV in the link in my first post . Also I never use a steel hammer on my impact . I use a plastic mallet or a rubber hammer will also work to . An air impact is what I use to remove the clutch nut .
I would use a telescopic magnet pencil and look for that broken piece in the tranny case .

I'll try the manual driver and see if I can get them out. Also where can I get the 4 prong socket to remove the clutch bolt? Arm Chair Racer if yours is doing the same thing i'd take the side cover off and take a look. Mine was pretty obvious, the shift arm stopper was up to the top of the case, clearly broken off at the 90. I am assuming the previous owner took the part out of the case or it drained out at an oil change because I didn't see the broken part in the oil when I took the side cover off.

trikeman78
04-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Those two phillips head flat head screws that hold the retainer plate on can be on there tight. I replace all phillips head screws with socket head screws. Even with the impact screw driver the heads can strip. Drill the heads off carefully if they strip out on you. Replace them with socket head screws. That way you only need an allen wrench next time. You will need the four prong socket for the main nut but while your buying that. I recommend the clutch basket holder tool. Worth the 20 bucks.

barbershop
04-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I finally got the dang retainer screws out, wrecked of course. The impact driver just stripped them so I had to use a screw extractor. Great tip on using the socket head screws to put it back together.

I'll be buying the clutch socket and basket holder now so I can finish up and do the job right. Plus my next project is an 86 125m so I figure I'll at least use the tools again in the near term.

Shortline 10 I was thinking the same thing about that piece of the shift drum stopper that is broken off. It would be quite large by the looks of it. How do you suggest I search for it in the tranny? Looks to me that the only place that it could have gone further into the case is through one of the bottom orifices. I was going to fish back in as far as I could with a magnet. Any other suggestions?

shortline10
04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Get a strong telescopic pencil magnet and fish in the hole LOL . The last dozen bikes that have come threw my shop have had all kinds of goodies left in the bottom ends and the magnet works well . I think the most popular part I find in bottom ends are the wrist pin clips :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys. I finally got the dang retainer screws out, wrecked of course. The impact driver just stripped them so I had to use a screw extractor. Great tip on using the socket head screws to put it back together.

I'll be buying the clutch socket and basket holder now so I can finish up and do the job right. Plus my next project is an 86 125m so I figure I'll at least use the tools again in the near term.

Shortline 10 I was thinking the same thing about that piece of the shift drum stopper that is broken off. It would be quite large by the looks of it. How do you suggest I search for it in the tranny? Looks to me that the only place that it could have gone further into the case is through one of the bottom orifices. I was going to fish back in as far as I could with a magnet. Any other suggestions?