PDA

View Full Version : Tire Repair patch or plug??

ctbale
04-16-2011, 01:32 AM
what do most people use to fix a hole in the tread, a patch or plug. Any special lube on the rims for mounting?

Thanks

Chuck
Anchorage AK
1983 200X
1978 ATC90 (2)
1983 ATC70

cr480r
04-16-2011, 06:25 AM
patch is better.. plug is easier... both will work fine when used and installed appropriately..

pipeline triker
04-16-2011, 09:33 AM
I use a both. It is a patch that has a plug made on to it. You prep the area like for a patch then insert the special tool to grab the plug, tire needs to be broke down or off the rim. When the repair is done the hole is plugged and there is a patch on the inside.

cr480r
04-16-2011, 04:08 PM
I would just plug it unless you have bead breaker or a good reason to dismount the tire. I guess the value and condition of the tire would be the deciding factor for me.. I love plugs. In fact they are the main reason I dont use tubes. I think they are great for low pressure off highway tires. I like to burn the plug for couple seconds after i cut off the excess.. seems to lessen the chance of it getting pulled out. Plugs are also good for sidewall or edge areas where patches wont stay secured. Here is a pic of how most tire shops are repairing flats nowdays:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/justinriolo/tirepatch.jpg

snakpacs
04-16-2011, 04:23 PM
depends on how bad the puncture is. sometimes i plug, sometimes i patch. hell sometimes ill patch and run a tube. i guess im lucky though... i work at an auto shop so breaking beads aint no thang. for lube i use the bucket next to the tire machine haha

MTS
04-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Cr480 posted a picture of the general idea, both a plug and patch have there places, simple small nail holes sometimes just dont break cords....and if done right a plug works just fine.
For larger injurys with a few broken cords a boot is the way to go, it restores the strength of the tire so to say, (cords in the boot) and will keep the hole from getting bigger when done properly. The whole plug and patch thing is more for larger stuff imo unless its a rare set of os tires there gona rot off before the little bit water gets in there to weakin the belts enough to cause problems.
I should also add, most of the inner liners of atc/v tires are real thin and a bit tricky to buff and patch correctly